Home Technical Talk

[ZBRUSH] - IMM Brushes/Objects Lose Their UVW Mapping?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
OccultMonk interpolator
When you create IMM Brushes, I seem to lose the UVW map on the Insert Mesh object. So for example I create a Meshinsert curve brush with an objects mesh that has UVW's. Then when I try to do Mask from Alpha for instance on the inserted Object/Brush the object does not seem to have any UVW's anymore.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    IMM does not support UVs if I recall correctly. Due to how it's basically creating a new mesh with a different vertex order every time you use it.

It can however, support polypaint. Depending on what you're doing, perhaps you could paint your mask with polypaint instead, and use mask by intensity.
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Thanks for the reply. That seems really strange, why would the vertex order of the objects have to change? I wanted to use it for example on a rope curve IMM brush (Where I would use a rope Mask/Alpha to create secondary (fine) detail strands on the main rope model by using mask by alpha and the models UVW's.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    why would the vertex order of the objects have to change?
    Inserting a mesh adds the vertices of whatever you're inserting to the existing tool. You'd probably run into some problems if the existing tool already has a vertex#5, if the existing tool had no UVs while the chunk you're inserting does, etc.
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    I tried applying Polypaint before I create the IMM Brush/Object, But when I try to use the IMM Object Brush it does not apply the Polypaint. You mean applying the Polypaint before 'create InsertMesh'?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    When using the brush, turn off Colorize while inserting to preserve the polypaint.
    -link
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    I have read that part of the manual before, and tried to turn off Polypaint. But I can't seem to get it to work. I apply Polypaint to the model, create an InsertMesh Brush, Turn off Polypait for the object where I insert the IMM Mesh/Brush. And there is no Polypaint on the inserted mesh.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Do you have your tool uploaded anywhere? It works like a charm for me.
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Sorry, :-/ I forgot to turn Polypaint back on after I inserted the objects (I turned it off before adding the IMM mesh, but forgot to turn it back on). I have not used Polypaint much. Thanks again!