Home Dota 2

New Modeler - Would Like a Little Advice

I'm fairly new to modeling - I'm doing it as a hobby more than anything, and I'm probably spending 2-3 hours a week on it. I'd like to start making stuff for DotA, and I'm fairly happy with the modeling side of things. However, there are three huge areas I'm struggling with - Particle effects, texturing and rigging. I'm entirely self-taught, and I'm restricted to using free software such as Blender and GIMP (I have access to photoshop for 2 hours a week). Does anyone know of any tutorials or free software that could help me learn how to texture, rig and make particles? I can upload an example of my current model if that'd help - I just have no idea where to start learning these things.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Replies

• heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    You should check out the tutorial thread... Here for some great resources.
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making particles is very hard and it is only done by some pros.So you shouldnt worry about it but you can find tutorials about adding particles which valve created.
  • LA_Nobody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ cagdasx44, thanks for letting me know that - I always assumed that I had to make my own particles! That's saved a load of time and hassle.

@ heboltz3, I've had a look at those tutorials, but they all seem to be for paid programs that I don't have access to. What I'd ideally need would be a GIMP/Paint.net/maybe Photoshop tutorial for someone whose never had an art lesson in their life. Pretty much every one I find either seems to assume past knowledge of the program, or an "arty" background, of which I have neither. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any tutorials like that. Thanks for the advice though.

Another quick question, I've made a model that has roughly 900 triangles in it. What is the best way to optimize it? Joining vertices at points? Removing detail? Some function I'm unaware of? Also, am I working to LOD1 or LOD0?
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We need to know your item (for which hero and for which slot) then you should look to the tri limit. Lod1 is the important one for the beginners so you should limit your tris by that.Hope it helps good luck.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LA_Nobody wrote: »

@ heboltz3, I've had a look at those tutorials, but they all seem to be for paid programs that I don't have access to. What I'd ideally need would be a GIMP/Paint.net/maybe Photoshop tutorial for someone whose never had an art lesson in their life. Pretty much every one I find either seems to assume past knowledge of the program, or an "arty" background, of which I have neither. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any tutorials like that. Thanks for the advice though.

Another quick question, I've made a model that has roughly 900 triangles in it. What is the best way to optimize it? Joining vertices at points? Removing detail? Some function I'm unaware of? Also, am I working to LOD1 or LOD0?

Here's my advice when it comes to tutorials..

If you are looking for tutorials based around your experience/workflow/and problems, and how to fix those things in relation to Dota2 UGC, chances are you will be disappointed and frustrated in your search.

If you are looking for guides or tutorials on help with the Dota 2 Style style, there are a ton in that thread, as well as the guides from valve. If you are looking for texturing advice, or the dota texturing method, Try This, or This. Finally steam is Known to have some great guides as well.

If you are looking for tutorials about your workflow, or theory check out The Polycount Wiki to get you started, however it's best as it is with any tutorial, to take the knowledge you can get and apply it to your own situation. Although the step by step process may not be spot on, the theory is more then sound, and tried and tested, or else it wouldn't be posted.

The theory behind the practice will hold its weight, and keep you afloat regardless of which application you use. If you are unfamiliar with the application, you should learn the application, then tackle the dota style.

Although creating content for Dota is a clearer end goal, it doesn't make it any easier or different of a process then learning any other skill. Knowledge of the application, and an inherent artistic sense are both mandatory skills when making content, although luckily they are something you can develop over time. I really can not stress enough that sifting through the seemingly endless amount of tutorials will be worth it in the end.

As far as your your second question. A good rule of thumb for optimization is to keep loops that reinforce silhouette, structure, or deformation. You can get your mesh down pretty bare bones if you cut out the loops that "aren't doing anything".

(The massive amount of links are done purposely to show that there are tons of resources out there, and they all demand the same amount of inherent background knowledge.)
  • polarbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are you trying to do? Do you want to know what the whole process of making a dota2 item looks like? Have a look at this tutorial.

I now read that you have a model with 900 tris. check this website to see what valve allows. First you want to make lod0 and then reduce your tris to lod1. If you just want to get anything done, without it being perfect - go straight to lod1.
    If you want to know how to do the optimization: Depends on your program! but whatever lowers your polycount should help. I use 3dsmax, try the "optimizer" modifier or simply the "target weld" function. If you don't know how to use these -> google.

You got your model done? You need to work on your textures. Check the tutorial I mentioned above! you will want to use xNormal (afterwards you will need to invert the green channel to use the maps in dota2) and then CrazyBump. From those maps you will have to create your color map, the normal map (xNormal does this, btw) and your masks 1 and 2. Check this document on how to do your masks.

If you have zero experience with photoshop, blender or whatever you want to use: google it. example "photoshop cs3 basics" - there should be plenty of results.

I cannot give you any more detailed advice because you're not really saying what your problem is.

TLDR: Basically what Heboltz said.
  • LA_Nobody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [/LIST]Thanks again for all the help guys - sorry for not being clear. What I need/would like to know is:

* How to use photoshop/GIMP/Paint.net for a total beginner.

* General concepts about how to make colour maps/pictures/textures from scratch in these programs - I have 0 experience with art, so my "drawing skills" are limited to gradient fills in areas and monocolour brushwork in these programs. A tutorial that covers both of the above would be amazing if it exists, which I'd assume it doesn't

* Common tips for reducing polycount - this is probably specific to each model though.

* Which LOD I needed to work towards - I think that was already answered.

I already know how to make things like the AO and Normal maps because I've "worked through" this tutorial on a sort of practice run: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8OWy1QJN9c&list=UUOZSXN7Zj5UBrbBY3TZ0d4w&feature=c4-overview"]HellJumper's Blender Tutorial for the Dota 2 Workshop - YouTube[/ame]

The main issues are the colour maps and actually using the program to make something that doesn't look like it's been done by a 5 year old with crayon. Thanks again for the friendly help.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Answering the list but I'm not attacking you.
    1. You don't really need to learn the program of photoshop or gimp or paint.net. All you need to know is that there can change the layer properties. Such as multiply mode, makes everything darker, as well as other things I don't know of.
    2. For making color maps, usually you would just overlay some ao map/normal map g channel onto some color or use gradiant maps.
    3. I can't really say for reducing polycounts but you for cylindrical objects, limit number of sides.
    4. You work for lod1, BUT you start off with lod0 for the portrait view.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    * How to use photoshop/GIMP/Paint.net for a total beginner.
    -Google "How to Use Gimp." This will return tutorials for your calibur.
    * General concepts about how to make colour maps/pictures/textures from scratch in these programs - I have 0 experience with art, so my "drawing skills" are limited to gradient fills in areas and monocolour brushwork in these programs.
    -This fights with your first question. If you are just learning the program, I would take time learning it, and then try to take on advanced techniques. There has also been at least 3 links previously to DOTA 2 texture guides.
    * Common tips for reducing polycount - this is probably specific to each model though.
    -This has been mentioned earlier. Also covered in tutorials/wiki.
    * Which LOD I needed to work towards - I think that was already answered.
    -This has been mentioned earlier.
    The main issues are the colour maps and actually using the program to make something that doesn't look like it's been done by a 5 year old with crayon.
    -This comes from experience. No tutorial can teach skill, just teach tech. You learn skill by doing.

Everything you have been asking has been answered in one form or another. There isn't much to do besides jump in and make art. If you are having problems finding tutorials for Gimp, I remember there being a free download link for Photoshop CS2 around somewhere on the internet. Switching programs won't make anything easier, and you will just continue to have similar problems until you put mouse to pixel and make some art, then the real learning starts.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    polarbear wrote: »
    Depends on your program! but whatever lowers your polycount should help. I use 3dsmax, try the "optimizer" modifier or simply the "target weld" function. If you don't know how to use these -> google.

TLDR: Basically what Heboltz said.

why you no use ProOptimizer :poly127: also dont get into the habit of relying on a modifier like this. If you are new to modeling you should really create the lods manually by removing edges and collapsing verts. Just from reading this thread you should use the polycount wiki and build on your fundamentals before worring about making dota items. Mostly what you are asking about are fundamental concepts... mostly
  • Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I'm pretty bad at modelling myself, but here's something I learned.

In case you are using Blender: The Blender versions up to 2.48b had a Poly Reducer Script which wasn't included in the later versions. That was a pretty handy tool to reduce the poly count while retaining your UV map.

The other way in Blender is the Decimate modifier but that destroys your UV map.
  • LA_Nobody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the help everyone - I'm sorry for asking all these questions, but a lot of the resources linked were blocked by my school's network. Now I've had a chance to look at them properly, I think everything I need is there - it's just a case of working out a logical order for it all! I really appreciate the time and help - hopefully I'll end up producing something of a not-bad quality soon :D
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent%2Bwork.%2BIf%2BI%2Bhad%2Ba%2Bproper%2Bquot%2BCounterpunch%2Bquot%2BReaction%2Bpicture%2B_2bfac9476982557779794ea450769641.jpg

Excellent! Looking forward to seeing some awesome work :D
  • LA_Nobody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtAIdAm.png

This is my model so far - it's completely unoptimized so far, I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions about the general shape of it so far?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for the colour scheme? I intended for it to be a sword for Kunkka, based on his lore it's a memento sword from a fight with a demon captain. The issue I have is that when I think Kunkka, I think blue/brown/gold/silver, but when I think demon, I think black/red/grey/dark matte colours. Any suggestions about this?
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I suggest you drop into a hangout the next time youre working. You can ask your questions in a live environment and everybody can see what youre doing - and help you even better for it
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Second rev, bangouts ftw
  • LA_Nobody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what is a hangout?
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The google hangouts!

There's a sticky at the top of the main forum. It's basically like a 10 way chatting program, and we all share screens and chat, and do art.

REALLY constructive. REALLY helpful. REALLY fun. Join up some time. there's usually someone in there at all hours of the day!
  • LA_Nobody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I didn't know about that - I don't tend to use any social network thingies so I had no idea. Would people get angry/annoyed at a total noob asking lost of basic questions?
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No way. Not as long as we can tell you are giving it your all :D
  • LA_Nobody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In that case, I'll look into it tomorrow

Thanks again for the help :)