Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Creating a Red Knee Spider

As part of a bigger plan I have decided to expand knowledge of ZBrush and test ability: creating a Red Knee Spider for UDK.

I have done work already, using a lot of references- alot of spiders!

Spider_zps461b0d39.jpg

Screenshot2014-01-20190708_zps5449a302.png

Screenshot2014-01-20190540_zpse543007b.png

RedKneeMoodBoard_zps7bdb5741.png

SpiderLeg_zps88cf76dd.gif

AnatomyBreakdown1_zpse60c4de1.png

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Working on it really. A lot of the surface detail is lost because of the distance the spider is visible.

Starting to get the 'musclar' detail in there, the joints and such, defining the shapes and such.

As the red knee has an exoskeleton there will be a lot of surface noise, frankly will make a good normal map, while being quite appealing to the eyes.

Going 1 subdivision at a time, careful to add detail where it is needed.

Really need to get this done to the point of texture and retopologised by 19th February.

RedKnee_zps6638f415.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    The spider is looking horrible, one more sessions for the surface detail and then it has been, lack of a better work: sculpted.

DefinedSpider_zps8fba7c6e.jpg
  • WadeWT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    My only complaint is that the fangs (?) the bits below the eyes are a lot wider in the references. I think the thorax could be a bit bigger but the references sort of vary on that. How do you plan to make it fluffy?
  • [Deleted User]
    WadeWT wrote: »
    My only complaint is that the fangs (?) the bits below the eyes are a lot wider in the references. I think the thorax could be a bit bigger but the references sort of vary on that. How do you plan to make it fluffy?

Yeah, I agree, they do need to be wider, the pedipalps.
    The mandibles are fine apart from the length of the fang themselves.

The thorax itself could be a little more round, at least. Slightly more flat too.

I aim to make it fluffy through different methods, to get different variation. 3DS Max's Polypaint, Ornatrix and Hair Farm.
    Creating the fluff is the other side of this project.

3580572735_b81c17a2aa.jpg

spidermexicanredknee1.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    The surface detail has been added to the spider. Soon time to build the retop and then unwrap.

After that I need to do some tests with creating hair in different methods.

RedKnee_zps1b8d5c6d.jpg

SpiderFac_zps7f92c282.jpg

SpiderFront_zpsc1b68191.jpg

SpiderSide_zps44659469.jpg

SpiderTop_zps54f90b41.jpg

SpiderBottom_zps171aeb1b.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Been a while since I last posted. I have not forgotten about this post, but working on the tarantula and other things.

Aiming to get important sections finished by end of March.

SpidergRAdex2_zpsdac85008.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Well, after working on this for the past few months, THIS is what it has come to.
    Looking at it now I see changes and things to edit- but this is now ideas and things to consider when working on new things in the future.

MaxBeauty_zps0acd66c5.jpg

Beauty1_zps8d798179.jpg

Beauty2_zpseb2d18aa.jpg

ZbrushCollection_zps1587314f.jpg

SpiderAngles_zps7a1d8087.jpg

SpiderTextures_zpsa2e7ce43.jpg