Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New to hand painted textures

method72
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
method72 polycounter lvl 5
Hey folks.
I recently started trying to mess around with hand painted style textures.

I just wanted to post my progress so far, and get a little feedback. Let me first say that I am by no means a traditional artist, so understanding color theory and lighting etc is foreign to me. I am an IT tech by day, and I tinker with 3d modeling and texturing as a hobby in my spare time, so the learning process is slow going, and I have no formal training, just self taught and using tutorials. But I am happy I actually took the time to complete a few low poly models, uvmap them, and texture them in photoshop by handpainting with my tablet. The models were created as low poly, in Wings3D, only a diffuse map is applied.

result.png

Replies

• Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C08MOPV3bwg"]Copy of Hand painted texture axe (HD) - YouTube[/ame]
    also look up the other forum posts about hand painting textures. There are a lot of help and links!
  • foredea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that good hand-painting texture are presenting its material well.
    If you want to improve your textures, please consider to put strong highlight on the metal texture. For the wood texture, put some roughness on the edge.

Some big scratches might help that how much the tools have been used.
  • method72
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    method72 polycounter lvl 5
    chestrender.png

So today I decided to try a treasure chest, the low poly model was built in Wings3D, and again the texture was painted with a tablet in photoshop. I know I have a long way to go before I can say i'm proud of my work, but practice makes perfect.
  • drysider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drysider polycounter lvl 9
    You might want to sit down and learn some colour theory before starting on your next texture, I think you'd find a lot of benefit from it. At the moment, your colours are muddy and dark and desaturated. You are shading and adding detail with grey, white and black. Never use pure back or white when hand painting. You want to use lighter/darker, saturated versions of the base colours you're using.

Using grey in your shadow work just makes your textures look bland and muddy. Don't be afraid of saturation, because it brings life to your models and makes them pop much more. If your base is a brown, make it a rich brown. Make your shadows a deep rich dark brown and your highlights pale orange. Never use desaturated shades without knowing how to include them properly!