Home Unreal Engine

white spots on mesh

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
repete polycounter lvl 6
Very puzzled as it's the first time this has occurred.

Any ideas of the cause ?

whitespots_zps05b9c94a.jpg

Replies

• mAlkAv!An
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mAlkAv!An polycounter lvl 5
    This is a bug occuring in DX11 mode when using normal maps with TC_NormalmapUncompressed or TC_NormalmapBC5.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    thanks

yes I have been looking it up and found a workaround:)

cheers
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    Just in case anyone stumbles across this thread --

I have had success at eliminating the problem by clamping my normal maps between .001 and .998 in their respective materials. I can confirm the problem only ever seems to happen in DX11 mode like mAIkAv!An said.
  • mAlkAv!An
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Technically you should only clamp the blue channel, red and green need the full [-1,1] range.
    However this will only remove NaN/white dots but artifacts (=black spots) remain. That's why I prefer to mask the red+green channel and simply append a scalar of 1 afterwards, at least with only little color information in the blue channel. This is also cheaper on instructions.
  • alfalfasprossen
    the problem lies in how UDK derives the blue channel internally, do it yourself instead ;)
    udk_DeriveBlueChannelNormal.png
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    woah thanks guys :D
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Is it not strange that when lighting is not rebuilt the bug is not present ?
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    For those of you who have this issue are you making changes to the DiffusePower by any chance ?

If I take another output from my diffuse texture sample and connect it to DiffusePower it recreates the problem a little and if I take the B channel output from the diffuse texture sample it's covered in white spots.

I am not convinced that it's a normal map problem, calls for more tests because it's only happening on some textures at my end. It could be a levels problem in the diffuse map aggravated by the normals.

strange_zpsf8e784a3.jpg

nodiffusePower_zps7b2e49a2.jpg
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    now I am almost convinced that it's the levels in the diffuse map.

below is the blue channel from the texture in the first 2 pics only here it's not tiled

diffuse_blue_zps9f29f21e.jpg
  • mAlkAv!An
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's absolutely a normal map issue. Diffuse Power is only enhancing the effect.
    repete wrote: »
    , calls for more tests because it's only happening on some textures at my end.
    Yes depends on the texture, I guess it's less of a problem for flat normal maps. You can however use sharpened MipMaps (Texture Properties -> Mip Gen Settings -> Sharpen10) to exaggerate artifacts for testing purposes.