Home General Discussion

Starting directly in Zbrush

U was watching many videos and courses where people start directly in Zbrush, either they do character for games or movies or tv, they do in Zbrush. Some of them start with Maya and continue with Zbrush, and then back to Maya.

May i ask. why people start with Zbrush and someone start with Maya?
Does studios, want from you to start with Maya, so to make a low poly model to have the rigging guys make the rigs and in meantime you make high poly model add details with Zbrush?

Or When you start in Zbrush, so it takes time before you make high poly model etc, What does those who wait to rig the character do? DO they push you to make the model fast so they can work on it? Or they wait patiently.

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Im guessing its usually just personal preference, some people just like to make a base mesh in maya/max or whatever. These days with dynamesh its easy to see why people might not be bothered to make a basemesh in an external app.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    personally I prefer to start in a 3d app, but its up to you really
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    If the design is already concepted then I would prefer to start in a 3D app - after sculpting it's just a case of removing support edges and optimizing a bit to get your low poly model, instead of having to do a whole re-topology pass.

If there is no pre-approved concept and you're confident in your ability with dynamesh etc. then sculpting almost as an exploratory sketching phase right in ZBrush can be really liberating and help block out everything before going for a more detailed, retopo step.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It all depends on you, and what you can do with the tools you have.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Boban wrote: »
    U was watching many videos and courses where people start directly in Zbrush

No, U was.

Usually if you're working with a humanoid model I'd imagine people would prefer to start with a base mesh, e.g. Working on a head and starting with a base would be really beneficial as you have the necessary edge loops already in place for the eyes, mouth, etc. so you don't have to subdivide like crazy.

Also as was already mentioned, starting in ZB gives you more artistic freedom to try things out and experiment!