Home Dota 2

Sword appears smaller, and not in place.

Hello, so I created my first ever 3d model.
In 3ds max 2014 it is exactly the same size as the original, it is in the hero`s hand, and weighted to the bone "weapon root". But when I import it to the game it is appearing smaller and it`s not in his hand. Please help.

Replies

• polarbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check this website http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements

There you check on the hero you are modeling for.
    There should be the name of the correct bone on which you need to skin your weapon.
    Next thing you do is download the original model of the hero (found on same website).
    The you import the original weapon into 3dsmax and position your weapon exactly where the original weapon is. It will most likely be not in his hand. (You should delete the Skin modifier of your weapon before you move/scale it.)
    Now with your weapon in the spot of the original weapon you skin it to the correct bone, that you read about on the website.
    Try again.

If this doesn't work, make screenshots and come back here. =)
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    ivoes wrote: »
    Hello, so I created my first ever 3d model.
    In 3ds max 2014 it is exactly the same size as the original, it is in the hero`s hand, and weighted to the bone "weapon root". But when I import it to the game it is appearing smaller and it`s not in his hand. Please help.

This sounds like your re using an outdated file from the requirements page. Valve does not keep up with updating these quickly. you will need to decompile the model you need.
  • ivoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok here`s how it is in my 3ds max, and ingame:
  • ivoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 wrote: »
    This sounds like your re using an outdated file from the requirements page. Valve does not keep up with updating these quickly. you will need to decompile the model you need.

Decompile it from the game? Where can I find it?
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should try googling the answer after someone points you in a clear direction.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bl-WEkSuQ"]This is what I used.[/ame]
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Not sure how it works on Max, but on Maya this usually happens if you don't freeze transformations, center pivot and delete all history.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »
    Not sure how it works on Max, but on Maya this usually happens if you don't freeze transformations, center pivot and delete all history.

Yeah max you don't need to do anything like that. The scale issue is most likely an outdated file, which would require a decompile of a newer model.There are a lot of steps that are covered, so I will not be going over that process, thanks Fox :), but you also seem to have an orientation issue. Max and dota have z and y flipped, you will see what I mean after importing a newly decompiled smd.

Edit: what format are you exporting? fbx i assume? Did you reset xForm before rigging?
  • ivoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I try to center the pivots, the XYZ are all grey and cannot be edited. I have searched for days in google how to fix that, but I found nothing.

Thank you for the answers, I will try these things tommorow.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivoes wrote: »
    When I try to center the pivots, the XYZ are all grey and cannot be edited. I have searched for days in google how to fix that, but I found nothing.

when you are on affect pivot only, try pressing "x"