Home Dota 2

Help needed.

Hello, I am an ultra noob when it comes to modeling and 3D related stuff. But, with my ideas I was compelled to get into DotA2 workshop and try and create items I would like to see in the game. So, I watched hours of guides, mainly ones from great contributor, Vlad >The Implyer (thanks for all the help Vlad!).
So, I understood everything I need to create an actual item.
My workflow is :
-Base mesh sculpting in 3ds Max; -> OBJ mesh
-Detailting,fixing,decimading in Zbrush (that program is pure epic for a visual type like me)
-Blender for scaling and bone binding, as well as extension central base (blender supports all important extensions and I also use it to import and export)

Now, I can't use photoshop for texturing, cus I\d be damned if i learn another program for modeling. But that is not my problem.

Recently, I successfully imported 1st piece of my set for Centaur, altho with test textures just to see if everything worked.
Now I am stuck at a different problem. The weapon is pinned in Centaur's foot, even tho I binded it to a proper bone. It is even downscaled vs Cent, but i scaled it in Blender. How do i fix this?

Replies

• ponyplop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know about you guys, but I'd be pinning the bones etc in Max/Maya, then exporting as OBJ/fbx files. I'd also be opening the centaur in Max so I can model to scale with my base mesh. It's personal preference but uni taught me to do my base nest first and then work on adding details, though I've seen plenty of successful poly polycounters do it in referee. Also, you'll want to position your item to the correct spot on the model before binding to the bone.
  • jamesman5000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use blender for every thing apart from making the textures excluding baking and all that. Photoshop can be really fun tool to use once you know a few things, just try to muck around and see what you can do with it.but really (find what works best for use you)
  • Kusariyaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I should try and scale it in the Blenders edit mode then save it as an obj. Then import OBJ into Max and try and bind the weapon to the bone? But there is one problem, in every tutorial I have watched the parent is usually the weapon and the bone is a proper one. I never had weapon as a parent when I try to bind it in blender cus Centaur acts like bones+all models as one unit. When I delete cent's model, the original axe goes away too... SO i am confused...
    There was some mentioning that I have to zero an object, something with coordinates and scale...
  • Zambash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zambash polycounter lvl 4
    I just finished up a weapon for centaur, and there are definitely some weird things that go on with his bones. I'm not sure what it is but I use Cinema4D and with any other item I've worked on I am just select all verts on the object and select the bone and hit bind. With the centaur weapon I had to manually paint all verts with the skin painter tool or the weapon would just be bound to his root instead of the weapon bone. Hope this helps.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    This workflow sounds complicated.

3ds max is capable of everything that maya/blender is.

I would just learn how to skin and export in that.
  • Kusariyaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, The weapon was bound to his root. That is why I thought to ask here.
    As for my workflow, it may be complicated but I understand it and it gives results, that is important.
    Ill try to look up skinning in Max...
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Oh I didn't mean the entire flow, just the bit where you do some things in blender and some things in max. For scaling and exporting sake, it's not a bad idea to just stick with one program.