Home Technical Talk

Troubles unwrap a simple Cylinder

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Gazu polycounter lvl 12
Hi PC´s,

at the moment im trying me in the max uv tools + textools.
9ig3thco.jpg
eqalj8cz.jpg

3 Cuts, but Max or TexTools don´t want to Relax the cylinder.
Is the break Tool similar to mayas cut? Im using the button that i have marked green but it dont want to relax nicely.

What im doin wrong?

Peace
Gazu

Replies

• Bruno Afonseca
    Try the various options inside the relax menu, and also the quadrify thing. Might help!
    When this happens to me I just hit buttons like crazy and it works :)
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    When i go inside the Relax Menu and press start relax, the cylinder is moving like a flag in the wind xD :(
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    1.Try to flip your uvs, and relax them.
    2. relax options that works to me every time: relax by face angle, and amount is on 1.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    o7vvn8oj.jpg

He want to relax, but not clean and i think that all import cuts are done
  • EarthQuake
    do a basic cylinder unwrap instead
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks EQ, that helped, but now is the problem that the basic cylinder unwrap is doing cuts where i dont like them. So i would like to have the cuts on another place.
    And the basic cylinder unwrap makes some funny cuts which i dont understand.
    yxzdsgsu.jpg
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    To the not perfect relax-> you can select edgeloops, and there are buttons to straighten the edges.
  • Ghogiel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    It's a dumb thing that max does that I haven't a way to avoid. No matter where I rotate the unwrap projection cage it nearly always wants to split those edges that run crossways on cylinders. :shrug:

Just weld the verts to fix.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    these are those button :
    25na.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Gazu wrote: »
    Thanks EQ, that helped, but now is the problem that the basic cylinder unwrap is doing cuts where i dont like them. So i would like to have the cuts on another place.
    And the basic cylinder unwrap makes some funny cuts which i dont understand.
    yxzdsgsu.jpg
    You just need to select the verts on the open edge and weld it.

Also when cylinder unwrap is active you can move, rotate and scale the cylinder gizmo in the viewport. You'll see a green line running down it, that's where the seam will be cut. The verts a long the open edge always get split, you just have to weld them, it's a really simple operation...
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    That helped! :)
    Damn...why this must be so much work?
    Mayas Cylindrical Mapping is better :P
    Anyway...have to learn max -_-"

l96gngwk.jpg

After i have selected the green Edges which i dont want to be a cut, i only have to press the button that i have marked, right?
    They become white again :)

In Germany we say : Why easy when it can be complicated, or in other words: Life is no Ponyyard.
    Or: Life is no bowl of cherries ^^ ...
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    One last question:
    92sprgpq.jpg

Is the Relax Tool in Max a little weak? I mean i cant avoid the stretching while this Cap is planar mapped. Maybe i have to Cylindrical map this part, too. But in Maya something like this wouldn´t make problems.

Thanks for your help! :)
  • WarrenM
    Gazu - Thanks for that! For some reason I've never tried that button. That will save some time in the future!!
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Ehm, no problem! ;)

Just checked that sometimes you have to use the edges in the UV Editor to use this Button.
    I have selected 2 Green Edges and pressed the Button and nothing happend.
    Then i selected the same Green Edges in the UV Editor an they become white after i pressed the button.
  • Ghogiel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    One last question:
    92sprgpq.jpg

Is the Relax Tool in Max a little weak? I mean i cant avoid the stretching while this Cap is planar mapped. Maybe i have to Cylindrical map this part, too. But in Maya something like this wouldn´t make problems.

I probably would have moved the seam one loop to the right as shown in your image just because it actually hides it more from the side view.

There isn't anything wrong with relax in max. It's actually pretty good relax actually. Just press it a few times :P
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Hm....here is another Problem:
    f3792zq8.jpg
    Mapped these with TexTool´s Iron and Relaxed it and then with Max´s Planar Map function from above.
    After Relaxing still Stretching in the middle. Bad relax :P
    Never had troubles like this in Maya. Something new for me Q_Q

Same on the other side:
    gzjuil7l.jpg

Ok, i have moved the UVs per Hand to avoid Stretching. This was my only opinion, or? Now the UVs looking ok, but have i really to make it manually?
  • Mark Dygert
    This came up a while ago when someone went on and on about maya's relax being better than the relax in max. It was a pretty long debate and sadly search doesn't seem able to find it.

The conclusion was that they where identical and probably robbed the same code base to build their relax tools. They where identical as long as everything was the same. Taking the same meshes and unwrapping them the same way yielded the same results. Personal bias however was rampant on both sides of the debate, heh.

Somethings that can affect relax in max like objects being non-uniformly scaled, an oddly sized texture sheet being displayed in the UV editor, or UV shell's being inverted all effect how relax works inside of max.

Reset transform/scale (in the hierarchy tab of the command panel) then reapply UVW unwrap and try relaxing, if it still stretches disproportionately then make sure that the texture that is applied to the mesh is a square texture. Technically this doesn't affect how the UV's relax but it does affect the way the checker pattern is displayed.