Home General Discussion

Need advice how to start to draw

Hey guys, from now on, i will focus all my day in drawing, and i would spend 2-3 hours, in Maya. After that, when i get some level of sense with drawing, i will start use Zbrush.

I would want to tell me how to start to draw, with pencil or with tablet. I really want to start with tablet because is free, than drawing with paper, i need eraser,some kind of pencil, etc.

Also i want to know any good online courses, for complete beginners like me. Sadly i don't have life drawing where i live no school or classes.

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Get a pencil, get paper. Draw everything.

It's that simple.

http://ctrlpaint.com/
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    I second ctrlpaint, its free, in depth and beginner friendly.
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    "Drawing on the right side of the brain" book by Betty Edwards.
    And ctrlpaint for more advanced.
    (not a pro, but started learning recently and I found those two most helpful)

Edit: Also FZDschool on youtube has (first videos) roughly explained composition and decisions in paintings (later on) methods to come up with new ideas and (last videos) not sped up timelapses. These aren't that useful when learning to draw, but great nonetheless.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I always show people this tutorial if they haven't seen it already:

http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm

More related to digital painting than "drawing", but it's simple and straightforward, a handy guide for some basic concepts that apply in all sorts of scenarios.

Beyond that my number one recommendation is to study and develop your eye. This, to me, is THE number one skill when it comes to drawing - or really, art of any type. You can spend all the time in the world with fancy tools, brushes, or ideas, but if you simply don't know what things look like, or even when something looks wrong - you're screwed.

Strictly speaking, if you can put a dot on a piece of paper, you have all you need to portray something awesome if you know where to put those dots. Knowing where to put the marks is a (not so) simple matter of memorization, so observe as much as possible, and find as many things as possible to help you remember information (how many heads tall a person is, landmarks on the body to map out proportions, etc).
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    It's cost less to buy a sketchbook, a pencil and an eraser then buy a tablet...

And i think it's better to learn the basic of traditional drawing before going on digital drawing
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Whatever happens, do not listen to what other people have said here and just 'pick up a pad and draw everything' - you are far too unprepared.

Listen to my teachings.... listen well.

Journey to the edge of the world where the boat keeper, Malechai, will be awaiting to grant you passage to the Hollow Isle. He does not like to be kept waiting, so do not delay. Place this cursed doubloon upon his gnarled palm, and he will do the rest.

Once you have arrived at this direful place, you must make your way toward the deathly grotto. Your task will be more than challenging.

You must bring me an amulet made from the teeth of a giant Ginger Tabby. He has bested some of my greatest warriors - I only wish that where they have fallen, you shall succeed, brother. Throughout your journey you will likely see the rotten corpses of many a fallen victim, but you must push on!

Then, and ONLY then, shall I permit you to pick up your sketchpad and begin to draw everything around you.

Time is of the essence - God speed friend.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Torch wrote: »
    Whatever happens, do not listen to what other people have said here and just 'pick up a pad and draw everything' - you are far too unprepared.

Listen to my teachings.... listen well.

Journey to the edge of the world where the boat keeper, Malechai, will be awaiting to grant you passage to the Hollow Isle. He does not like to be kept waiting, so do not delay. Place this cursed doubloon upon his gnarled palm, and he will do the rest.

Once you have arrived at this direful place, you must make your way toward the deathly grotto. Your task will be more than challenging.

You must bring me an amulet made from the teeth of a giant Ginger Tabby. He has bested some of my greatest warriors - I only wish that where they have fallen, you shall succeed, brother. Throughout your journey you will likely see the rotten corpses of many a fallen victim, but you must push on!

Then, and ONLY then, shall I permit you to pick up your sketchpad and begin to draw everything around you.

Time is of the essence - God speed friend.
    I second this.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
  • masud12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have pencil and paper you can draw everything.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    start drawing dicks, eventually you'll get there. ;)
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    if you don't stop........you will constantly see improvements. it may take time...but you will always get better. very important.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    keizza wrote: »
    if you don't stop........you will constantly see improvements. it may take time...but you will always get better. very important.

I agree, i was flicking through an old sketchbook, and was having a laugh at my early artwork but towards the back i was actually improving and i was kicking myself for stopping.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    CurtisWS wrote: »
    start drawing dicks, eventually you'll get there. ;)

He's right the secret is in the jewels! not the stick!

listen to:
    Keizza

If your serious you'll be kicking ass within the year, save and date your works so you can see how you improved.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    you do however need your inspiration, something to guide you to draw from foundation to the end concept.

my inspiration is:

FzD school of design YouTube channel.
    David Finch
    Stephen Platt

I use:

standard sketchbook medium tooth recycled paper
    standard lead holders; leads: 4H, 2H, HB.
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I highly recommend picking up a figure drawing book and an old master book for anatomy. Look them over, and draw them. Practicing regularly is what will be the biggest help for you. Also don't be afraid to fail, failure is a growing mechanism. Best of luck and looking to see your work in the future!
  • 3DTotal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get inspiration! This can be from the internet, galleries, whatever is around you, books and more.

http://www.layerpaint.com/ always has sketchbook articles that are popular and this Sketching from the imagination book http://shop.3dtotal.com/books/3dtotalpublishing/sketching-from-the-imagination.html
  • 3DTotal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh also, if you are looking to practice some anatomy then the use of an anatomical model is always a good shout. Anatomy tools have some wicked ones http://www.anatomytools.com but if they are out of your price range, then check out our affordable male figure (back in stock at the end of the month) http://shop.3dtotal.com/figures/anatomy-figure/male-figure.html We also have a female one that will be coming out this year :D