Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Handpainted Axe

Hi, now it's my time to post my handpainting stuff. I found concept of an axe in the net and decided to try and make it using handpainted textures, here is what I've got as the result:

axe_small.jpg

This model has 1000 triangles, 1024x1024 pixels texture. No normal or specular maps used, just plain diffuse with lights turned off. What do you think about it?

Replies

• putka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    putka polycounter lvl 6
    Considering it's diffuse only with ambient light I think it looks great :)

Love the metallic specular highlights and the scratches are really well painted
  • Haftoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haftoof polycounter lvl 4
    I love the metallics, you landed the slightly dulled sides of it. Your color for the darker wrought iron is awesome. I can feel the depth in the NMM and really love the piece. My only qualm might be the handle leather? something about the weave maybe? It looks less wrapped and more like scales.
  • ArtemSh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all.

Haftoof, handle is made of scales by design:) So I'm pretty much happy that you saw scales there:) And one stupid quiestion, but what is NMM?:)

And here is the concept from Blizzard:
    25333ea101d8fc1f26c399180cff8678.jpg
  • Haftoof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haftoof polycounter lvl 4
    Non-metallic metals. It's a term from miniature painting... Where you can actually paint with metallics (flakes of colored metal suspended in medium) or color (pigment).

The metallics give highlights themselves, while with nmm you need to paint the highlights and shadow.
  • ArtemSh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started experimenting with Marmoset Toolbag 2.0. Here is what I've got, it reminds me of Skyrim for some reason:)

skyrim.jpg
  • okay54
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay54 polycounter lvl 5
    Reminds me of some of the Twilight Cultist stuff from WoW. Awesome work, love it.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I think it's good but you could push the levels some more. There is not a ton of contrast from light to dark and if you tweak those out it will really make the colors pop. It would also probably benefit with a little more color in the metal, just hints to play off reflections of the environment. You can add a very transparent color layer with splotches of greens blues yellows and reds. Try it out.