Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Broetchaen Portfolio - Review

Hey! :)
I'm going to graduate in April and have started to build a portfolio. You can see that my portfolio is pretty empty at the moment, I'm converting old models to this new format I have chosen. Is there a significant thing I forgot? Critique would be really nice :)

http://lukaspatrus.com/

Thanks,
Lukas

Replies

• mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    Currently that turntable setup you have (while fancy) is unnecessary, nothing beats high res still images, that I don't have to wait around for them to load. It's needlessly complicate at the moment, go ahead and keep the turntable thing if you want but it's not enough on it's own.

I'd say the first thing you need to do is get some hi res shots of your characters from your standard front, back and side angles. Get some closeup shots showing off certain elements that benefit from it. You also need construction shots, where are the wireframes? Texture flats? High poly renders? They're needed in order to evaluate your technical abilities, more so the wireframes and texture flats. Lastly I'd suggest posing your characters to some degree, they look awful lifeless at the moment which doesnt help.

Oh, and get that stuff centered, looks weird being off on the side, hope some of that helped!
  • Cibo
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    The turntable is nice but no great help. I have the need to zoom in and thats not possible so hires shot may better than 3 different lightning setups which are no great help.
  • antszy101
    Idk about others, but on my computer when I load your site I have to actually scroll to the right to see the entire page. Loaded using Chrome and I checked to make sure I wasn't zoomed in or out. Definitely something worth fixing
  • KMiklas
    Offline / Send Message
    KMiklas polycounter lvl 9
    A little something from me: mind that not everyone uses full HD monitor. I'm currently at 1680x1050 and your website just doesnt fit into my browser window. Scalling it down only make things worse. ;)

I actually like the turntables. But personaly I would think about one of services letting you display your model directly on a website (webgl) - maybe they dont proivide such rendering quality, but for sure faster loading and more flexibility in viewing.

Also, as mazz423 already mentioned - nothing beats nice high res pics. That's about the website.

The models look really cool. However, they seem to be quite high poly to me. I can't see any close up or wireframe though, but for a such angle and size on screen, it's too much if you ask me.

Cheers! Good work anyway. :)
  • Broetchaen
    Thanks guys! :) wasn't aware of the problems with Chrome. Back to the Drawing board xD Going to add some highres images!

I'll keep you guys updated :)