Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Game art portfolio - feedback appreciated!

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
ivarhill polycounter lvl 3
I've been finishing up a personal game art portfolio, and would love some comments and feedback to make it better! :)

It can be found here:
http://www.bracketstudios.net/portfolio/

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Just really quickly, I don't want to see you About on the first page. I want to see your art. Either your best piece or a way to select between all your pieces.
  • ivarhill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, all right, I will see if I can redesign that a bit - you definitely bring up a good point! I've made the portfolio as a single, continuous page by design, since my thought has been to keep it simple and make it less 'website-ish' - but maybe that has been clouding its actual purpose.

I'll see if I can put up a showcase piece in the beginning, and then follow it with an 'about' text. Thanks for the feedback!
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustGarry polycounter lvl 4
    I really like the unique layout and scrolling design, but didn't know to scroll at first, I just clicked on the first link.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    There is just way to much text in your portfolio. Nobody is going to spend the time to read all of that, and on top of that a lot of the images are to small to even be able to read it easily.

The PNGs take a fairly long time to load for me compared to most websites.

You should have a resume on your portfolio for people to have quick access to.

Some of your work is not on the same level as some of the others. The heavy missile turret, heavy repair bot, the AO room render, and Orbital launch HQ are all unfinished looking and simple models that do not do much for you. The Forest scene and the floating island scene both have really dark and poor lighting. The modeling and texturing looks ok on them for the most part, but the lighting makes them completely break down.

Hope that helps a little bit, and good luck!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    the scroling works pretty well, but as Jade mentioned, and you yourself pointed out, a selection of your best work on the top would be nice.

also, no whireframes, polycounts or texture sheets!
  • ivarhill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BARDLER

Thanks for the feedback. I thought it'd be a good idea to put text in some places to give some background information and provide some context for my graphics, but perhaps I am in the wrong here. All the images are clickable which I thought could account for some smaller sizes but maybe it's not clear enough.

I should probably use JPG instead for the sake of quick loading, good point - and I'll definitely try to get a resume in there, thanks!

Also, thanks for the input on which models maybe should be removed from there altogether - I'll give this more thought and see what I'll decide to remove for the sake of consistent quality.

I'd be very interested in getting some feedback on what looks the best and/or most polished - sometimes it's too easy to apply personal bias and it'd help in deciding for what should be more prominently featured :)

@lotet
    Great point regarding wireframes, polycounts and texture sheets, I'd really do myself a favor being more transparent there.