Home Dota 2

Texturing Help!

Hey Guys!
i am what you call a newbie... i am having troubles with texturing.
ive never been good with photoshop and/or art its self. i go on GHangouts alot and watch alot of my friends texture their item and it looks great! but then it comes to me texturing and mine looks like complete shit! i would like to practice more and improve.

But if anyone could post any tips or tutorials about texturing its self that i could read or watch that would be very helpful and Greatly appreciated!

I have Skype, GHangouts, and Steam (Of course).

Thanks everyone!:) GoodLuck!

Replies

• MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can post your texture WIP here, so we can make the proper critiques.

You can always download the original textures to study how they work (despite the fact that some are a real mess)

Also there are 3D programs that allow you to paint directly on the model, even if you are not much familiar with the program itself works like a guide for possible corrections/tweaks.
  • Zambash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zambash polycounter lvl 4
    Hello friend! I am in the opposite boat from you, I have been texturing for quite a while and I like to think I am at least fairly decent at it, it's the modeling and sculpting stuff that I am just learning, and I can offer a few basic tips from my skinning experience.

1. Pick just a few colors, like maybe 6 colors max, and stick to those for the majority of any single texture, if you try to use too many different colors and get too complex your texture will end up looking just that, complicated and messy.

2. Try to avoid over-using special tools within programs, when I first started skinning in Photoshop I would try to use filters a lot and made the mistake of trying to shade using the dodge and burn tools, things like this are nice and have some very specific applications where they work great, but for most things the simplest tool is the best tool. Stick to your paintbrush tool and learn to use your color picker efficiently.

3. DON'T rush things when you are starting, it can be tempting to try and do things really fast when you watch someone with years of experience flying through a texture. You should slow down and take your time, don't do anything that isn't necessary, and don't be afraid to press that CTRL+Z a hundred times to get a stroke exactly right.

Those are the big things I can think of right off the bat, it's hard to come up with some specific examples for a broad topic like "Texturing Tutorials", but if there is some specific material or shape or something that you are wondering about, let me know and I can draw up some examples.
  • Jewish Zebra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my texture pack thingy, Following Lenny's guide
    6dhsx.jpg

This is the object, ignore the text plz... i can get a new one if needed
    6dhuW.png

And this is the concept:
    6dhpX.jpg
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    How did you unwrap this? It looks stretched like it was not properly unwrapped for offset texture sizes. It would be beneficial to see the texture on the model to get a better idea of where everything is supposed to be, but before you post this you should add your color flats under the render maps, so again we can get a better idea how it fits the model
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    down_limit polycounter lvl 10
    you probably forgot that I turned your model. http://joxi.ru/HQTNUv3JTJCjEfJCusw