Home Dota 2

[implemented idea] Ice Lina (completely new particles)

Hi everyone! Decided to put the idea to developers (although I'm sure it will not), which I've realized for myself and would like to know your opinion

Ice Lina link to WorkShop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVlAi99klps&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZXOriFud7o&feature=youtu.be

5KSHCvn.jpg
ZOh2xmG.jpg

yjkcOoG.jpg
hyRlRHQ.jpg
KQaCWca.jpg
egOCVnU.jpg
P6wD1zj.jpg
pS1HEgx.jpg
2uf041r.jpg

Replies

• Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    I would call that plasma or something and your ready to go. I think even in heat temperature colors go from red to blue :)
    btw.. what the hell how you even... :D whaaa crazyyyyyyyy!!!! I saw few people editing single particles, but you have just made an overkill here!!! GRATZ!
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    It looks cool out of context for the hero, a few problems arise from this overhaul though. One that immediately comes to mind is the stun ability in game would be incredibly confusing next to skywrath's mystic flare ult. It does look pretty though!
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    It indeed looks really pretty, but I'm afraid that it breaks too many guidelines. You have to throw her whole lore, color scheme and everything else she haves out of the window for it to "work". Again, it looks pretty, but it represents everything that can get wrong with Dota 2 cosmetics, and I don't want it to turn into TF2 or LoL, where the only guidelines you have to follow is whether it looks good or not, disregarding every bit of the character's story and personality.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    This seems to fit the common trend of recent item submissions that are getting accepted, sure, it looks cool, I like it.
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    It does look awesome, and i can tottally see a new set coming out with it. But i do agree with the comments here. It breaks too much the hero's visual style, making it confusing for the players. Id suggest putting this much effort into another hero that would benefit from this change, since it looks great. I always thought Kunkka would look great in a black set, like, black water coming from his sword. etc. might be the same case as lina with ice tho...
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pray for blizzard sue for valve then your item might got hope for workshop XDDD

like omni case :P
  • Ak.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ak.
    This seems to fit the common trend of recent item submissions that are getting accepted, sure, it looks cool, I like it.
    /\

I Thought it amazing! loved the particles. gratz!
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    For the love of god, why? I really do not see the point. Now I may be a sociopathic shut-in but why would any of you guys ever want that in the game? Don't get me wrong, Destroyer, I recognize that you have put a lot of work in to this and I'm glad you made it because learning new things is awesome. But this should never, ever be put in the game. If any of you guys (those who have been around for a while especially) think that this is something that would improve the game or even just the character, I really gotta ask what the fuck you have learned about Dota 2 item creation in your time here.

The only reason that I'm being a dick here is because the subforum is more and more trending towards "I can see you put some effort into it so I guess I have to be nice" which is the exact opposite of why I joined Polycount. I know I've been guilty of it as well but enabling items that don't fit the game leads to more items that don't fit the game getting into the game which leads to us going "wtf volvo what's all with the ridiculous stuff getting in"

Again, Destroyer, I'm not trying to put you down, this is an awesome learning project and I'd love to collaborate with you on items with custom particles. But this does NOT belong into the game as it currently stands. As for why, see some of the comments above.

Again, being a dick here to make a point.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Spudnik wrote: »
    I really gotta ask what the fuck you have learned about Dota 2 item creation in your time here.
    Same reason there's a "How much money" thread around here.

As for the rest, i definitely agree with Spud, it's a terrible idea, lazy, sloppy in execution and unfitting in style, and the amount of "wow, so awesome" comments are the only thing that frightens me more. Not to mention that there's virtually no actual work put into it, unless hue shift are rare skill now.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Spudnik and Vlad, there's ways to criticize work without being complete assess. Saying there's "virtually no actual work put into it" is also a bit much. The particles are definitely updated to tweak it to the ice theme. It's not just a hue shift of her stock particles.

That being said, I agree it's not that fitting. It's too big of a change for a hero who needs to be recognized instantly in a fight. The blue spells and recoloring of the hero would confuse her with Crystal Maiden too much, especially since you also changed her hair to blonde.

Also the particles are leaning a bit more towards blue plasma instead of snow/ice as a lot of people have said. There's way too much saturated blue like in the new Dragon Slave particle. That looks to be because you just hue shifted the stock particle and then added snow over it. You should tweak the entire particle to look like snow instead of just making them blue and adding falling snow or ice on top.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Man i tought dota players were the elite and yet they can't stand a champ color shift. Never seen a lol player complain about drastic skin change (they complain about everything else tho)
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Valve is strict with creative guidelines. It's an art style, it needs to be preserved. The same goes with, for instance, Half-Life, you can't put in cartoon-like themed items in an alternative sci-fi reality like it. It just doesn't fit. That's why Spud and Vlad freaked out. My vote is the same, the work is good, but it's too radical for a change of an already known hero, thus it will never work.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    The particles are definitely updated to tweak it to the ice theme. It's not just a hue shift of her stock particles.
    Yeah, those hand particles are just copypasted from Lich. The rest is just a hue shift from Arcana particles.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, those hand particles are just copypasted from Lich. The rest is just a hue shift from Arcana particles.

Are you sure he didn't just use the same sprites from Lich's particles? Overall yeah they are just hue shifted but it looks like he at least added some falling snow to them.
  • Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, nice work for a debut. I like it. I know my way around particles myself a bit since I created a particle overhaul for Wisp once (Celestial Spark) and a few weapon effects for collaborations so I can attest that this was probably more than just a simple recolouring. Not a lot more, though. You might want to add a few own effects next time (or change the shape and effect of existing ones), something that makes it a bit more different from the original.

I really doubt they will add it, though. Lina is supposed to be some kind of counterpiece to Crystal Maiden, and it just breaks with her overall theme. And, well, Valve unfortunately never added community-made particle effects before. But hey, as long as it's about new particles I'm all for it.

Good luck =)
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    @Vlad, there's ways to criticize work without being complete assess.

Willy-wonka-you-must-be-new-here.jpg
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Spud and Vlad may have been harsh, but I fully agree with them. As I said on my post, this submission completely ignores everything that makes Lina what she is, which is her whole lore, her story and personality, and represents everything that can go wrong with Dota's theme and style. It appears to be just color changes.
    To be honest, I don't know the amount of changes besides hue shifts since I'm not familiar with her arcana item particles (where the originals come from), but I admit that the screenshots do provide some eye candy, however, if the only work OP did was changing the color, it's indeed pretty awful.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Automedic wrote: »
    Lina is supposed to be some kind of counterpiece to Crystal Maiden, and it just breaks with her overall theme.
    Good luck =)

They are sisters and the whole fire/ice plays into the sibling rivalry that is a part of both of their lore. Also not sure if someone mentioned this, but this directly conflicts with her dialog, so Valve would have to pay for the vo actor to record all new dialog.
  • Zambash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zambash polycounter lvl 4
    Noors wrote: »
    Man i tought dota players were the elite and yet they can't stand a champ color shift. Never seen a lol player complain about drastic skin change (they complain about everything else tho)

Not to be a dick, but there are no "champ"s in DotA.
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Vlad and Spud too. İf this item goes ingame I will delete dota and never play it again.
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors wrote: »

That is why we are elite because we know that skin changes like this could ruin the game.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i want my BMW with an AUDI emblem -.-
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Ok guys i think we got your point of view.
  • polkunus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget that forced positivity is a lot more toxic than cynicism and criticism
  • Nmcy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone! Decided to put the idea to developers (although I'm sure it will not), which I've realized for myself and would like to know your opinion

Ice Lina link to WorkShop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVlAi99klps&feature=youtu.be
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZXOriFud7o&feature=youtu.be

5KSHCvn.jpg
    ZOh2xmG.jpg

yjkcOoG.jpg
    hyRlRHQ.jpg
    KQaCWca.jpg
    egOCVnU.jpg
    P6wD1zj.jpg
    pS1HEgx.jpg
    how get i got this blue lina sir?