Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Med Fantasy level in Cryengine

IgnitionChemistry
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
IgnitionChemistry polycounter lvl 5
Hi all, this is my first post, and it's also my first work in CryEngine, I'm looking to have this more developed and post some more works on here, hopefully to get some feedback as well.

ygkc.jpg

I'm working from this scene to then work on a whole town level, and some interiors for a player to start at. For now I'll be moving on to characters for a break from CE3. I hope you like and please criticize!

UPDATED on 30 March 2014:
9I3LdwS.jpg

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overall, I feel there is too much contrast. I'd reduce the saturation of the brown, add a bit of dirt to the white, and reduce the direct lighting a little while boosting the ambient a bit. I'd also reduce the saturation of the mountains considerably while giving them a faint blue tinge to be more realistic and increase the separation between the mountains and the buildings.

The roof texture just doesn't look like any standard roofing material.

The leafless trees imply either a winter or a very early spring scene, yet the grass is bright green. I'd either add some leaves or change the grass to a dying yellow-green.

The cobbles in the road seem very small, and the brown really dominates what should be a gray paved road.

The building silhouettes seem far too perfect for medieval architecture - every line is perfectly straight, and all walls are perfectly perpendicular. Spend a few polygons to throw in some imperfections - a subtle sag to the roof, irregular stones, etc. The normal map can also help by softening the too-sharp corners of the walls, doorways, and window sills. Finally, consider scaling the instances of the houses by a very small amount - less than 5%, perhaps; even this subtle change will help give individuality to houses.

The shadows on the roofs don't seem to match the geometry. The roof in front of the steeple is the biggest offender.
  • IgnitionChemistry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the great comment, I think the time of the day chosen was not the best and it influenced all the heavy browns in the picture (the roof is actually dark blue)
    I take now notice of the mountains and the green ambient that is just off.
    I'll take another round in Maya and try to deconstruct the village a bit. It's my first go at CE3 so the shadows also bug me a little, I don't know how to do better, for now, but I'll try to look into it while I solve geometry problems you kindly pointed out.
    b0qt.jpglktk.jpg

33ux.jpg
  • IgnitionChemistry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I took your advice and I think it's looking MUCH better. Comments?
    9I3LdwS.jpg
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    your houses got a blue-ish tint while your ground colors are very warm... I'd try tinting the house textures a little brownish or similar to get the feeling of belonging to one scene,
    some textures are also very dark.. this might be intended though.. but I'd try to keep them a little more in the mid value range so they can pick up light easier

what else.. I feel that medieval cities were very narrow.. so you might wanna make the place a little tighter..

introduce some fog to give your background scenery a slight sky color tint and a feeling of depth

I'm starting off myself, just trying to help you get where you want.. hopefully this helped :)
  • IgnitionChemistry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Cay! This helped a lot, I'll get on it, the color tips are absolutely correct and I will try to see how it looks with some fog! News to come. :)
    And oh, good luck with your project too!