Home General Discussion

where to find art test concept art?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Count Vader polycounter lvl 12
I've been seeing pieces in people's portfolios that are art tests for different companies. They are generally small manageable scenes or single assets that are perfect for portfolio pieces! I was wondering if there's a place to find more of them, like I know there probably isn't some single database of every art test ever but, it'd be interesting to try to obtain some. (I imagine that since people are allowed to put the resulting scenes on their portfolio they aren't confidential or anything).

Replies

• Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    They are not allowed to post the concept art work that they did the test off. They will occasionally be allowed to post the test if the company allows it (some people post it even when asked not too).

The reason for not being allowed to post the concept art is that people online could find it, and do the test outside of the given time frame and just pass it off as a the actual test. Which kinda defeats the purpose of wanting to see what you can accomplish in a given time frame.

Further more it is FAR better to show off unique and original work than just copying an art test for a company. Its far better to do a scene based off/inspired by that companys game than there art test. There are SOOOO many great pieces of concept art for small manageable props/scenes that you should use instead. Companys want to be wow'd by work they have never seen. Not to see the same old shity art test they give out every week.
  • Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Count Vader polycounter lvl 12
    Autocon wrote: »
    The reason for not being allowed to post the concept art is that people online could find it, and do the test outside of the given time frame and just pass it off as a the actual test. Which kinda defeats the purpose of wanting to see what you can accomplish in a given time frame.

Hm, I guess my line of thinking was that since one is posting the result of the art test, they've effectively disclosed the underlying concept anyway so if you're letting ppl see the finished art test why not disclose the concept art anyway. Also I guess I assumed companies rotate their art tests somehow so that my friend who gets a job at company A can't be like 'ok dude this is what the art test will be, get ready' if I get an interview there.

I guess the reason I was asking about art tests specifically vs. other concept art is that it's artwork in a cool style that looks professional and like it 'could be' in a real game, but hasn't actually showed up in any games so everyone hasn't seen it a million times before, if that makes any sense.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Problem is, people have seen these a ton of times, precisely because so many applicants do them.

Anyhow, this might help you.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryGameIndustry#Art_Tests