Home Dota 2

Maya Mesa smd export issue

Hello,

We are trying to export a model that was rigged in Maya. The problem is that we get the following error when exporting the smd:

http://www10.0zz0.com/2014/01/03/17/369670879.png

Here’s some context:

http://www5.0zz0.com/2014/01/03/17/798274051.png

The bone causing issues is the hip. Could it be because “plevicroot” is not a bone?

I saw a comment on the mesa 1.1 page who seemed to have the same problem. RedEyes mentioned something about moving the bones to different layers. We haven’t had much success. Could we be doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Is this export for just the basemesh + skelly?

I'd imagine if that error was caused by "pelvicroot" not being a bone, it should throw you the same error for the other groups you have as well. Probably for paw_L, since it's the first in the list. What's the general difference between the pelvic group and the others?

For my own curiosities sake, why use MESA as opposed to just fbx exports?
  • gordon13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reason I say this is because the hip bone is beneath pelvicroot. From what the error says it seems a reasonable assumption.

But now that you mention it, it's true the other bones should also have produced errors if mesa doesnt like nurbs...

I'm not sure how pelvicroot could be invalid though...

The reason we're using mesa is because there doesn't seem to be an fbx exporter for Maya 2014.

Anyone else using Maya 2014 and exporting things to Dota?
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make sure you have the FBX plugin loaded.

Window > Settings\Preferences > Plugin Manager. In the plugin manager window you should see FBX. Be sure that it is loaded you can also set it to Auto-load.
  • gordon13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well we had trouble with fbx format not importing in dota as well as plugin issues so we gave up and went for the smd route.

I'm not the maya user in the team so I can't be too specific but from what I understand the plugin itself seems to load but either the resulting file is corrupt or the dota importer isn't compatible with some of the stuff the fbx file contains (Im thinking spline shapes, IK etc).
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weird, I've been using FBX for my courier through the entire process, if you guys need some help or a quick walk through, feel free to shoot me a private message and I'll give you as much advice as possible. :)
  • gordon13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot, will do!
  • gordon13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still having trouble with this unfortunately. The mesa addon still wont export our files and the fbx file wont import into dota..

The error "Zero skin weights on one or more vertices" appears in the dota importer when importing the fbx.

It then tells me it failed to find the attachment point I specify. I know for a fact it is in there because I opened the fbx in notepad and found many references to that bone.

I want to describe our process a little.
    1. apply texture, with same name as one used in dota importer, to mesh
    2. select skeleton and mesh, export as fbx with animation and bake OFF.

3. make copy of that file and make simple aniamtion. select mesh and skeleton, export as fbx with animation and bake ON

4. import into dota making sure to reference an existing bone as the attachment point.

Are we missing something?

I hope someone can help!