Home General Discussion

Gaming trends you want gone in 2014

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    ambershee wrote: »
    Basically all first party Xbox One games. WTF Microsoft? Have me pay £60 for the new Forza (a markup of £10 over the previous iteration), then show me cars that you could never afford to buy in the game without many hours of serious grinding, or pay real cash.

No way, they do that :D Haven't got an XB1 yet but sounds pretty cheeky!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Torch wrote: »
    No way, they do that :D Haven't got an XB1 yet but sounds pretty cheeky!

It's not just cheeky, it's also over the top expensive. I'd go so far as to call it down-right insulting, rather than cheeky.

Forza_5_Tokens.jpg

The Lotus E21 costs 10,000 tokens. Alternatively you can earn 6 million in game credits - at a rate of around 100,000 an hour at best, meaning you'd have to grind for 40-50 hours to unlock that one car.

Most high end cards like a Ferrari Enzo cost between 2000 and 2500 tokens / 1.5 million credits.

Someone worked out that the entire game costs around £3000 if you want to pay for all the content.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    o_______________________________________________0;

£3000 Geeees for realz?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or you can grind. Using the above data:

£60 = 8000 tokens = 4,800,000 credits = 48 hours.
    £3000 = 600,000 tokens = 240 million credits = 2400 hours.

There are 14 tracks in the retail box (the rest are DLC). The game shipped with 200 cars and 120 of them can only be bought in DLC packs. Have fun!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can complain about that, but as long as people pay those amounts, those amounts will be charged. It's the market at work and all that. You say vote with your wallet - people ARE voting with their wallets. :)
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    ambershee wrote: »
    Forza_5_Tokens.jpg

Im stupid ? :shifty:

100 = 1 Dollar

8000 = 100 Dolllar

Why not buy 100times for 1 Dollar for 10.000 Tokens :poly124:
  • jddg5wa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jddg5wa polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, didn't notice the price inconsistency at first. That has to be just fishing for money. The people who would pay for all of that either have enough spending money to not care or missing a few things. For $100 you could buy quiet a few more games that are more enjoyable than just adding a car to one game.

Had to find this again because it sounds so odd. It's from an interview with Dan Greenwalt.
    “There’s a small group of players that can’t be bothered to do things and they have disposable income. They’re the sim guys in a lot of cases. They don’t want to do the career, and they don’t value those aspects, and that’s alright by me,” said Dan.

“It’s not about making more money, it was actually about saving people’s time when doing the grind,” he continued, forgetting to explain why the cars in Forza 5 cost over £47.

“We were looking at it as basically giving people cheats, but if you want to put cheats in you have to pay for them, which puts a barrier in and makes it exclusive to those who want to pay for them,” added Dan.

Never had to pay for cheats before so not sure why now. Hope this doesn't become a widespread ideal for games. If anything that system is no better than other F2P games that make you pay to do things faster.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    Cibo wrote: »
    Im stupid ? :shifty:

100 = 1 Dollar

8000 = 100 Dolllar

Why not buy 100times for 1 Dollar for 10.000 Tokens :poly124:

Wha... uhhh, hmmm. Did you just completely destroy their pricing system?

Based off the '5000 base, 3000 free' it seems that, the more real money you spend, the less it gets you... It literally halves in value between the lowest and the highest transactions.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's right as well. People must have noticed that by now, wonder if that chart is still up to date - I just swagged it from a hastily googled launch review.

Edit: People noticed right away, lol:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719955

Also, they're doing the $1 = E1 = £1 thing. The traditional shafting of Europe and the UK in particular.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Yes, but if you pay more you don't have to repeatedly buy cheaper tokens sets over and over again, can't you see they just want to make it easier on you? Jeez, gamers these days, so self entitled :''(
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crimson Dragon and Ryse and Powerstar Golf also have similar grind / microtransanction setups.

Apparently Project Spark is also going to be microtransaction based :/
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll bet there's a cool down period or something on the purchases so, yes, you could buy a ton of the small ones but I bet you have to wait an hour between each purchase or something.
  • jddg5wa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonder if someone can confirm a cooldown, that would just be hilarious.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    The worst thing is the £60 price tag and microtransactions on top of that, still can't believe it, surprised more people haven't complained :/
  • shlim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shlim polycounter lvl 3
    I'd mainly like to see the gaming community mature. That's my number one problem and what has disillusioned me the most.

[slight rant, please ignore for the most part]
    ... gaming community mature... Is this a serious post, not some ironic post as an attempt at self deprecating humor?

Seriously? In a culture where we, as functioning adult members of society, are to act proper and civil. Games are where we can be immature, where we can act as the one thing we shouldn't publicly... as kids.

Have the ADULT gaming community be more informed and civil in their critiques of the games we play, Yes.

Again this is my opinion not the spoken rule of the culture we live in, but I think we have to remind ourselves that the main audience for the games that are made are not for us, but for the age demographics below us.
    [end rant]
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Sukotto wrote: »
    My problem with F2P games are the Pay to Play games. Dota2, TF2 and LoL are examples of F2P done outstandingly well. The number one reason those games can be free and still reap a huge profit is because they are FUN so the player WANTS to spend money on it, AND it doesn't affect the game. Its a win-win all around. The biggest problem with a lot of other F2P games with micro-transactions is that they aren't as engaging or things are blocked off or there's a LOT of waiting around, all ruining the game experience. While yes, some of these games are very popular and well done, there's still plenty of F2P games out there that are all about the money.

Valve uses locked loot drops that can only be opened by keys you purchase, that's a bit dirty to me. So even someone who has no interest in spending money gets this juicy mystery box dropped on them to tempt them into buying a key.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    shlim wrote: »
    [slight rant, please ignore for the most part]
    ... gaming community mature... Is this a serious post, not some ironic post as an attempt at self deprecating humor?

Seriously? In a culture where we, as functioning adult members of society, are to act proper and civil. Games are where we can be immature, where we can act as the one thing we shouldn't publicly... as kids.

Have the ADULT gaming community be more informed and civil in their critiques of the games we play, Yes.

Again this is my opinion not the spoken rule of the culture we live in, but I think we have to remind ourselves that the main audience for the games that are made are not for us, but for the age demographics below us.
    [end rant]

It's okay to relax and be yourself, as long it doesn't mean that you have to act like a cunt to everyone else. That's the problem with a lot of those immature people. Just because it's a game, doesn't mean you have to be an arse.
  • jddg5wa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maturity and fun can easily go hand in hand.

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
    Walt Disney
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Valve uses locked loot drops that can only be opened by keys you purchase, that's a bit dirty to me. So even someone who has no interest in spending money gets this juicy mystery box dropped on them to tempt them into buying a key.

Yeah, but 90% is available to buy directly from the store if you want it, and things turn up on the community marketplace for pennies.

I wanted a gun skin when I started playing CS:GO again last week, so instead of waiting for some batshit 'crate' to drop, I paid £0.30 for a skin I chose with a cool counter to track kills! I think that's free to play done right. I even got to give money to another player for the skin!
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    fearian wrote: »
    Yeah, but 90% is available to buy directly from the store if you want it, and things turn up on the community marketplace for pennies.

I wanted a gun skin when I started playing CS:GO again last week, so instead of waiting for some batshit 'crate' to drop, I paid £0.30 for a skin I chose with a cool counter to track kills! I think that's free to play done right. I even got to give money to another player for the skin!

This, I've sold a ton of items that are between 20c and $5 and then bought the keys and got stuff I wanted, or just outright bought them from the marketplace instead. I've sold over 100 Dota2 items so far and bought 20+ and not payed a single dime to do it out of my pocket. Funny thing is, valve makes money every step of the way.

Paying full price for a game then getting day 1 dlc and microtransactioned through the asshole makes me pucker up tighter than snare drum and for those games that do it I don't buy.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I see the crate/key system as nothing besides taking advantage of gambling addicts. You'd think that every person would just buy the skins they want off the marketplace for a few cents, but in reality, they only cost so little because there are so many more people buying crates and keys.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah I hardly see CS:GO as the paragon of micro-transaction virtue. I've heard on multiple occasions of people spending $300-400 on keys and getting not much in return. To say it's gambling isn't a stretch.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    but it's OK if Valve does it, much like layoffs.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    in your face UI…. cmon we should have the gameplay, and screen res to not have this…. ubi I'm looking at you….