Home Technical Talk

Unwrapping Holes

I am working on unwrapping this floor tile and came across a problem, mainly because it's time consuming. Here is the tile:

Vc5kvjo.png

My problem is that the holes repeat and I would like to unwrap them all the same. I unwrapped one hole and it looks right. It there a way to duplicate this unwrap to all the holes without selecting them individually and stitching the sides to clean it up.

PGM0ic7.png

Replies

• RyanB
    Are you really going to be close enough to that floor to see those holes. Is the character going to drop something and need to reach into one of the holes and fish something out of it?

In movies, anything that the hero can't physically touch has hardly any detail on it.

Personally, I would just use this model as a base for a sculpt. Bake a normal map from sculpt, and put it on a quad.

If you really need a 10,000 poly floor tile then you could do a tiled map for each direction of the cube sections. Select top polys of one hole, map that, then tile across the tops of the rest. Same process for the other sides of each section.

Another option is don't texture the holes at all. Put a metallic color on it and just run a vertex color gradient from top to bottom of each hole. The top of the tile can be done however you would normally texture.
  • unscodst
    Thanks RyanB. I am actually trying to do my first High to Low poly model. I wasn't sure if the holes would translate or not if I didn't unwrap them. Here is the low poly model I am considering using.

8xard7C.png

I was also considering using just a box, but once again I would like the holes to show up some how.
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    you could "fake" those holes with an alpha map, think of all the verts you would save:)
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You can use parallax to make the holes look slightly indented and can give the impression of holes. UDK, Cryengine, and most modern engines support it.
  • unscodst
    Repete, I was thinking of that as well. I just need to learn how to alpha map and make the sides of the holes show up.
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    here you go: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124852

You just need to bake the alpha from your high poly and your done, the tricky part is getting it to work in your 3D app and or the game engine.
    unscodst wrote: »
    Repete, I was thinking of that as well. I just need to learn how to alpha map and make the sides of the holes show up.
  • WarrenM
    If you really want to use the hole geo, just delete all the hole interiors except for 1. UV it. Then duplicate those polys and snap them into each hole that you need to fill in.

You'll be eating a bunch of verts, but at least all the holes will be overlaid in the UV map correctly.

Done.
  • Mark Dygert
    Warren's method also multiplies as you copy.

Copy it once then select both and copy again, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32... done.
  • unscodst
    Thanks Warren and Mark. I thought about doing this as well. But for some reason I couldn't think of the exact right way to do it. Anyways I am working on using xNormal to convert from High to Low Poly, it's just taking a while.

I am also going to look into making an Alpha Map for the holes.

Thanks for the help everyone.