Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Transformer Blaster

Hey guys, just finished making a model of blaster from transformers. wouldn't mind some feedback :)

blasterwire_zpse695372b.pngblastermax_zps8118bc89.pngblasterrender_zps1090d643.jpg

Testing a cel shader on it in udk
blastertest_zpsa123d586.png

Replies

• Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Count Vader polycounter lvl 12
    The thickness of the handle isn't uniform all along (ie the vertical parts are thicker than the horizontal bar).

There doesn't seem to be any texture information besides just flat colours. I'm guessing you were going for a cartoony look though, and a lot of art in games does get away with just using flat colors for stuff, so that point is debatable. Still, if you are going for a clean/new look at least throw on a cubemap/some glossiness.

You have the speakers cut out/defined in the Low Poly, i'm not really sure why as that surface information can be easily transmitted with normals and it's a waste of geometry to have it cut out like that.

You can make your normals a lot more interesting. I'm going to assume you used this as reference: http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/4/4/1/8/2/blaster_1266170356.jpg You can see there's a lot more interesting stuff going on in the red part especially, the splits/panels aren't just straight edges but have various beveled and inset bits.
  • eltonkagrande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ye i was trying to keep it to flat color and make the material in udk do alot of the work for it since i wanted to keep a fairly cartoony feel to it. ive pretty much been learning udk materials the past couple days so im still experimenting with mixing and matching stuff to get good results.
    for reference i used abit of a mix of the toy and the cartoon so in terms of the paneling i went with the cartoon version.
    since the speakers were at 90 degrees i wanted to keep them as separate objects as you can see the edges of them.
    thanks very much for the feedback, im going to look into giving the material some gloss
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Problem is, the arms would be waaay to thin if he transformed from what you have, there. I'd suggest going back to your references, and looking carefully at the shapes.