Home Dota 2

Foreign Payment

Does anyone knows the proper steps and guide for the tax forms?
It is pretty confusing and tedious, which I believe many people including myself, who are not US citizens, here have difficulty doing so.

Replies

• archie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Q. What happens if there is no income tax treaty between my country of residence and the United States?
    A. We will be required by the IRS to withhold 30% of your revenue share payment and remit these taxes to the IRS. You may want to consult with your tax advisors on whether you can recover these taxes as a foreign tax credit on your tax return.

Does anyone know how to solve this?
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    Check out this thread, I believe people had the same questions as you: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123522
  • archie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have read the thread, however I am still quite confused on what to do if my country does not have tax treaty, and what are the necessary required things to provide.

From the thread, one of them replied that I still need to supply a TIN number?
    If so, where do I provide it in my account infos? as the Tax information has no button or whatsoever for me to fill in.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    You could probably send Valve finance an email, as they certainly have dealt with that kind of situation before.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    If there is no tax treaty with your country you don't need to do anything, Valve has it settled for you. There's no way to avoid the 30% tax in that case AFAIK, though there may be ways to claim tax credit for it in your home country - you'll need to check with your government/tax bureau for that.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Whatever happens, you still need to pay taxes in your own country as self-employed earnings. This is the case in the UK at leat. The tax treaty just determines how much tax is taken as US tax. Personally, I put 30% of my earnings in a high interest bank account so when tax time comes round, I have the cash and hopefully some interest on top.