Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

panel loops and curve brushes for hard surface modeling

Hey gang,

In the process of getting ZBrush 4r6 and I was looking at videos of panel loops and the curve brushes.

How effective are they for hard surface modeling?

Take for example, this armor that I'm working on for this character:

Ip2bLOu

Replies

• ShockInfinite
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Personally, I don't think its ideal for this type of character. Armor like this looks best if it is layered (that's how it would be in reality) So actually, what you want is to make separate subtools and sculpt them individually.
    there are a variety of ways to approach this, but I would avoid panel loops in this case personally.
  • ShockInfinite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks BradMyers82.

So just mask and extract and work from there?
  • Lord Waffles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Waffles polycounter lvl 10
    Hey shock,

I'm just giving you a heads up now, but it's a good rule of thumb to try to avoid:

a. creating two threads on relatively the same topic previous thread here.

b. posting just questions in the "Pimping and Previews" topic as it is generally for...well, exactly that. Showing off your work and getting feedback.

Polycount is an amazingly helpful community, but you have to show your putting forth the effort. Instead of asking a question about a tool and what you can use it for, try it out yourself first and see. If you are struggling with getting it to work, make a post in your first thread along with a picture and more than likely someone will comment.

I mean who wants to read a thread that contains only text and isn't telling a tale about a small creature running around with a ring?
    We are visual people and thus we require...well...visuals :)

Now to answer your question.
    It's hard to give you a straight answer on what is good and what isn't, because everyone works a little differently. When your just starting out you tend to just stick to what the last tutorial you saw told you, but over time you start to figure out what you like doing.

Zbrush is a hard program to just pickup and use, especially for hard surface. I truly recommend trying to model it out in another program, that way you can get nice sharp edge work without trying to fool around with trim/pinch brushes.

If your still set on only using zbrush then eat 3D has an epic tutorial on doing hard surface in Zbrush
    Our wiki is also full of treasure
    Thy digital tutors?
    Panel loop fun?

Watch some vids, read some docs, and post some progress that way we can help you better!
    Good luck!
  • ShockInfinite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

I should have posted this in the tech thread. I'm really curious to see other's workflows.

I'll go ahead and post some more stuff tomorrow