Home Unity

Real Time Water & Destruction, InGame Editing & Adding Faces, Lines, Vertex's

Sims_doc
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Sims_doc polycounter lvl 7
Before the adventure begins, i may re-post this on unity forums since it may be more suitable there but of course since i haven't any experience in unity i haven't yet bother.

I'm slightly curious on what level can unity support, real time water for those of you that aren't aware of what it is. basically real time water is water that acts like that of water you find in the real world.

as in if you trip holding a cup ingame it will spread out and depending on what surface its on and depending on the level of what its been program to lets say there's weather and its sunny you could set it up so that in a given period it would dry up.

Now, real time destruction is basically the same as water, if you shot a large metal slug into the side of a ship at the point of impact depending on the speed and strength of the ship's super structure and that of the material its made from you would see shock waves and compression from the resulting impact and if its fast enough even through and through.

Editing & Adding Faces, Lines, Vertex's and generally geometry. OK, Lets say you've got a custom car game and you want to edit a hood naturally you would need to export model for editing in a program like lets say 3D Max and then import again instead of all that what I'm asking is would unity have the level of support needed to do all this within a game and please i know its a lot better to do it outside of the game but for this question put that aside.

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You'd either have to program that yourself or buy packages from the Asset Store.

I suspect what you have in mind is too complex for any engine, let alone Unity.
  • Sims_doc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, What i want to do is mainly what i've outlined in the OP everything else is a cakewalk compared to it and wouldn't take me that long to script and test.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, but the bits you outlined are two really complex and processor intensive parts.

I don't think you'd be able to program either of them, let alone have both of then running at the same time at an interactive framerate.
  • Sims_doc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I should of mention this in the OP but luckily i've got access to rather powerful server which for the time being should allow me to experiment in such things so power is nothing to worrier about..

but as for programming i won't go into that for the time being, i have played around with some similar things which may help? but I'll be doing a lot of it by stepping stones and working to towards this.
  • Regretful123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as I'm concern, making a very realistic dynamic water in engine are extremely expensive, as they are calculating bias per each units. I.e. Calculate the volume of each space water is in, and then ensure that it detects collision with something.

We're not in the future yet.

As for destruction, a lot of time are usually "Faked", by having two separate object, whereas if the object receive the proper force, it simply switch out from solid into fractal pieces of geometry. (I.e. Battlefield 3's breakable wall)

Making it physically and dynamic wall that actually calculates the origin of hits, the force it was applied, the wall's intercity structure, etc., are also doesn't exist just quite yet. It may be soon available in the future, but for the time consistency that if you desperately need these things, just simply fake it.

But if you really absolutely want to do a physics simulation, you would have to either find them in the Asset store or manually create a script for yourself.