Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female head asking for criticism feedback

dongyfeng
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
dongyfeng polycounter lvl 6
I found female heads were much harder to sculpt than male heads. My first two female heads turned out badly. Here is my third sculpture. Please give me some feedback.

Replies

• Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah you're right, females are always harder. There is not much to criticize here, every part is in place, you just need to observe more and refine the shapes. the skull is to big, the eyes too, the nose too long, etc... just take a ref and observe, or look at how other people do it. You can find cool videos of Hazardous process here for example :

http://fr.twitch.tv/hazardousarts/profile
  • arcitecht
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    One problem is balance of proportion. Eyes are too big for the sockets, which are a little big themselves. The head is too tall overall, and the ears are too large as well.

Also, he nose and lips are both lacking in volume, and the mouth doesn't have enough depth to it as you can see in the underside view.

Skull-wise, I'd bring the eye sockets back a good bit, right now the forehead is mostly flat across and you want to have some nice curvature, especially along the glabella. And in the jaw you'll want to have some division for the chin rather than blending it right into the jawline.

It seems like you have an understanding of a lot of the parts and structure, you just need some practice in the balance and finesse of each. Anyway, this is only your 3rd go at it, if you keep doing them I can guarantee you'll see improvement.

And not to be a contraian to Texelion, just something to keep in mind, is that with people who have been sculpting (or painting or whatever) for years, watching them work is not typically the best place to get help as a beginner. They have certain workflows and patterns they've developed for working with their meshes, and it probably wont make sense to you if you're new so I wouldn't recommend trying to copy it directly. With that said, seeing how they develop form and define things and set up proportion can be really helpful, its just that there are better means for hard-boiled learning of anatomy and software techniques.