Home Technical Talk

Does Udk support physical based shading?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
I wanted to ask if the present udk supports physical based shaders. If I recall correctly, Remember Me used PBR shaders but I think it was incorporated by the dev team at the time. So I am wondering if this is present in the latest udk release?

Also,I am considering trying out Cryengine as well but does anyone know how much is the initial Cryengine license for commercial use.

I understand for indie devs, u pay 20% revenue. But is there is a particular amount u have to make before u pay royalties like udk requires up to 50,000 revenue or there is none for Cryengine, whatever profit will require 20% revenue.
For udk, its $99 for the commercial license, there is no indication of how much the commercial license is for cryengine before paying royalties.

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    it's dosnt, but it is possible to make them for UDK using a combination of hlsl and the shader editor.

In the case of new games like remember me, they would have a full ue3 license not UDK, which would allow them to implement things like new lighting and shading models
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    it's dosnt, but it is possible to make them for UDK using a combination of hlsl and the shader editor.

Do you have a link for that? I tried getting custom lightmaps (baked in Maya) to work with UDK and it simply won't let me. The lightmapper is a PITA sometimes.

With the full Unreal Engine 3 license you get an option for the BEAST lightmapper, which is, in some ways, even better than direct physical based lighting, because you get a lot more direct control. However, this solution is not affordable for the normal user or small company.

The best option for Beast is to get a pro license for Unity. It has a simplified, albeit working version of BEAST. What UDK offers instead is an intricate shader system that nothing else really compares to.

However, if you look at Cryengine models and their textures you get to realize how important good lighting really is. Huge timesaver!