Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Retro Stylized Space Ships

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
Been working on this model for the past week. Put together some images of the final model with Toolbag 2 (really liking it by the way).
Original design by Mike Doscher

Obviously the original design left a lot of gaps to fill in terms of color pallette and just general style. I ended up going with a really bright almost cartoonish look kind of inspired by the art in the Ratchet and Clank games. Think it turned out pretty well.

Photoshop composition of the final model:

4gC8CSB.jpg
As a side note, background for this made entirely with clouds, noise and gradients within photoshop.

Toolbag shots:

zgghS9v.jpg

COZL6er.jpg

Lds6q2d.jpg

aw8ANug.jpg

dliXJ7i.jpg

Wireframe:

Y75fnM4.jpg

Final polycount was 19,338 tris, going for high detail.

At the moment I'm looking for more retro stylized space concepts that I could expand on as a set. I'll add to this thread with anything I do with that idea.

Replies

• snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the style but looking at it I am not sure how it has the high of a tri count, is there a render of the high poly model some where?
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    snake85027 wrote: »
    I really like the style but looking at it I am not sure how it has the high of a tri count, is there a render of the high poly model some where?

Yeah, I should have included that. Here:

HAsqTOx.png

G66aQas.png

Really, a lot of the poly count is going not towards the large pieces but more towards the rounded/jointed/ridged pipes all along the bottom and rear sides. Normally on vehicle models I don't put a lot of thought into the bottom but on this one since it's a space ship I made a point to make the bottom interesting and well detailed.

Wireframe of the bottom:

pV741e1.jpg
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Nice stuff. The highpoly is good, but i don't really like the texture though, it's a bit generic and all orange/red.

Could be nice to add some bullet impacts ( yeah, bullets in space, I know it's stupid ^^ ), or laser impacts maybe, instead of having the same scartches everywhere.

I would definitely buy a game with this kind of ship. ^^
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might want to make the wear on the leading edges more consistent along the entire edge.
    Bf109arming.jpg

You can also add scorching to the underside if it's been re-entering the atmosphere.
  • chrisavigni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
    Great modelling and amazing background but I am also not too fond of the color scheme. You should try a different color palette.