Home Technical Talk

UDK cartoon shading

Hi guys :)

I'm trying to make a cartoony game (not different to games such as Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Angry Birds Go!...etc) for the iPhone but it doesn't seem to work out the way I'd hoped.

The current sunlight in UDK makes the textures look unrealistically bright (though I think I would need 5 different types of map effects to get it working?). Here's how it looks:

j03gN2F.jpg

While the tiles have to be in the style of the ground textures at the beginning of the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KRaNEQEBJ4

I'm not sure on how to go about doing the cartoon style without any post-processing effects. Any help would be appreciated :)

Replies

• Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    1. Turn the sunlight strength down to 1. It defaults to 5 or so.
    2. Make sure you don't already have some kind of post chain rendering. The default camera does, from what I remember. It includes bloom and such.

The spyro stuff you linked is way before post effects were possible.
    To get that look the texture itself needs to do most if not all of the work. So if you can paint up cartoonish textures, you can get a cartoonish looking game.
  • EnvyDev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias wrote: »
    1. Turn the sunlight strength down to 1. It defaults to 5 or so.
    2. Make sure you don't already have some kind of post chain rendering. The default camera does, from what I remember. It includes bloom and such.

The spyro stuff you linked is way before post effects were possible.
    To get that look the texture itself needs to do most if not all of the work. So if you can paint up cartoonish textures, you can get a cartoonish looking game.

I'm not sure on how to modify the sunlight strength.

I tried modifying the textures in GIMP using the Cartoonify option but it doesn't quite give the outcome I want to. Thanks for the help :)
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    udk by default had some tonemapping, bloom and desaturation, you need to turn all of that off. Create some good lighting, and make up some stylized hand painted textures. it is what they would have done in spyro no photo references, just brush to canvas.
  • EnvyDev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    udk by default had some tonemapping, bloom and desaturation, you need to turn all of that off. Create some good lighting, and make up some stylized hand painted textures. it is what they would have done in spyro no photo references, just brush to canvas.

Thank you - no wonder the tiles looked unrealistically bright :D