Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized Tavern

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
xXSP3CSXx polycounter lvl 4
I was given a concept by Simon Kopp from my instructor and was given a week to recreate it and texture it. Other guidelines we had to follow were that the whole thing had to be under 14000 tris, and all textures combined had to fit on a 4096x4096 size map. This was my first attempt at creating an internal environment and my own stylized textures, by using zbrush to get the overall look to the wood and the tiles on the floor and then taking them into photoshop. The screen caps are from unity.

The Concept:

interior.jpg

The Results:

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

Replies

• Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    It looks alright to an extent but you have several things I would consider upon improving.
    • Atmosphere
      Making your scene more atmospheric can be achieved by using volumetric lights, particles, and interest to items
    • Unique Textures
      The environment needs textures that look different to break up the averaged brightness/contrast
    • Grime
      Add grime to your textures, the bar was lived in, right?
    • Wear
      Same goes for the above
  • MethodJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MethodJ polycounter lvl 4
    Seconding Mossbros' comment about atmosphere and contrast. You haven't captured any of the light from the concept piece. I think the lighting is the most interesting aspect of the concept, if you are trying to do it justice you'll need to nail the lighting.

There is a lot more contrast in the concept from the lights - very bright areas around the lamps, much darker areas in corners, and interesting shadows on the ground. Not to mention the volume lights sneaking in from the outside.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Almost all of the shapes you have are very geometric, from the perfectly straight rafters to the 90° bar corners, to the circular tables. Add in some extra loops on some of the wooden beams to make them wobble a bit. Reduce the sides of the tables a bit to make some of the planks rougher cut and spend the extra polies on making some slight gaps/chipped edges. Just break the perfection a bit.

I think you can have a more intimate lighting if you make the radii of the lanterns smaller, pump up the moonlight a bit, and add some atmospherics and a few dust particles. Either actual volumetric lighting or just some modeled-in lightshafts. Also, the ceiling (and floor directly below the lanterns) should be quite dark because the top and bottom of the lanterns are solid metal instead of thin translucent leather.