Home General Discussion

Saturday morning Rant. (maya)

StephenVyas
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
This is the one thing that gets under my skin while using maya... why? why the hell would you think this makes it better??? auuurrghhhhhh!
t4vVxcr.png

Replies

• aleksdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maya internally operates on the desired frameRate instead of frames (which is a seemingly unitless value). You can set a key at say 6.5 and it'll be in the middle of the bracketto demonstrate this
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, most 3dpackages operate on the ability to add keyframes on fractions or float numbers.
    Effectively, the dopesheet has no problem displaying the current keyframe in the middle of the bracket.

What's strange is...they've chosen to display the keyframe data differently on the timeline. (edit: Eventhough, their selection tools/methods have remained the same)
  • Visum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    Talking about Maya.
    How you deal with vertex selection?
    That thing is like hell. When i hover over a vertex with modelling toolkit on it usuwały chooses some other one. Seriously its the most retarded thing i ever experienced.
  • Decoyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do you mean you accidentally select a vertex on lets say the other side of the mesh? if thats the case, toggling camera based selection, or in some cases, messing with the clipping plane works for me.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    As someone going over to maya from many years of max beyond my initial frustrations I couldn't be happier, mind you i've yet to move onto any animation.

what I like about maya is once you are over the initial learning curve its very intuitive, my biggest frustration so far has been the interactive split(?) tool that thing can cut your mesh to shit without you realizing, good thing though they have those decent cleanup tools and such.
  • Visum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    Decoyz wrote: »
    do you mean you accidentally select a vertex on lets say the other side of the mesh? if thats the case, toggling camera based selection, or in some cases, messing with the clipping plane works for me.

No, same side. Modeling toolkit Target Weld is best example of this. It tries to guess which vertex you "want" to choose and sometimes hovering over the one you want to select, actually selects a different one.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As someone going over to maya from many years of max beyond my initial frustrations I couldn't be happier, mind you i've yet to move onto any animation.

what I like about maya is once you are over the initial learning curve its very intuitive, my biggest frustration so far has been the interactive split(?) tool that thing can cut your mesh to shit without you realizing, good thing though they have those decent cleanup tools and such.

Likewise. Ive spent the past decade with 3dsmax. .. though, I still remember that unnerving feeling coming over from XSI to max . I really loved XSI, especially the way they utilize the three mouse buttons for the translate/rotate tool (SO awesome for speedy posing), it's too bad not many game studios that I know of use it in their pipeline. It's DAMN fast with next to no lag.

That said, the last month or so I've come to enjoy maya the more and more I customize it with Melscripts.-This sets it apart from the other packages because it can speed up the tedious parts of animating and increase my workflow speed.
    Generally speaking though... for animators.. 3dsoftware is basically the same across all platforms, but I imagine its a bit different with modeling and the proprietary tools that come in each package tho
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    stephen, why are your keys so bloody thick!?!?! default is a thin line that will fit between those selections
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'cause I like 'em real thick and juicy!

i've since abandoned the idea of having it look more like their dopesheet.
    *shrug*
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I started using the dopesheet, because Maya TimeSlider is gimped compared to Max's Trackbar.

I basically use a split viewport with the bottom set as a dope sheet. Make sure Dopesheet Summary is turned on. Then just shrink it down until you only see the summary line. I set it as my default scene in File > New > OptionBox.

Pros:

1. Click to select keyframes. Or click and drag to select multiple keys. (I know it's unfortunate that selecting is listed as a pro.)
    2. All the same options are in the dopesheet's right click menu. (And more.)
    3. The move and scale tools are much better to use. (That red bar with the little arrows is awkward to use.)
    4. You can select all keys by click on Dopesheet Summary on the left (Which I have hidden).
    5. You can work outside the active time range easily. I do this a lot, because I like to use pre/post infinity curves.

Cons:
    The only con is changing the time. But you can either unhide the timeline. Or what I do is use the Shift + S hokey and drag in the dopesheet to change the time.

MayaDopesheet.png
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm yeah!
    Having the dopesheet summerized down at the bottom actually looks quite nice. I imagine it'll become second nature after a few scenes are animated.

The con you mentioned is a bit funky isn't it? With it being a toggle switch and all, but I do like how it lets the user scrub right on top of the character in the perspective viewport. So.. that evens it out for me

I guess that means there's really not a lot else that I can rag on Maya about... for now :shifty:

pst..maya... your timeslider still sucks!