Home General Discussion

Good sleep for artists, neck pain etc

I am not very sure about you guys. But i am getting 3-4 times per year, neck or back pain. I am not sure how do i sleep or what i do during the sleep. I am waking up with back or worst neck pain.

Usually one side of the neck is where i fell the pain, and what is worst my head is turned in that way. I can't turn my head to opposite side, or look down or even sneeze.

My neck pain will go away after 4-5 days. I don't want to lose that much time and do not do my art practice, or when i work at studio to happen this.

Any change to get rid of this neck pain, i fell like a zombie, with my head turned either left or right.

All i know and what i do is, to get hot shower in the place where i fell the pain, but i don't fell any difference.

Replies

• iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    More physical exercises that are designed for spine health. You should contact doctor that will show you, what exactly you should be doing.
  • Stinkfoot
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    also make sure you're not sleeping/working in a draft, if cold air keeps blowing down your neck it can feel like concrete in the morning, check if you pillows are still okay and provide enough support for your head, (too much and you tilt, too few and.. you tilt the other way.)

Try to keep an eye on your posture, while sitting/walking. your body can stoop for a long time but eventually it starts hurting, my slouching in chairs is wrecking my lower back, so I need to sit up straight. other wise you'll be lookin like mister burns in a few years.

or let a doc have a good wack at it, sometimes it just needs a proper kneading.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    81x4k4dnBwL._SL1500_.jpg

foam mattress toppers are cheap and easy.. I got one about 2 months ago after I started having similar problems
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch polycounter
    Could it have anything to do with the position you're sitting in when working, rather than when you sleep? Just asking as I've had back pains as well, picked up a cheapo back support from poundworld and its done a world of good for my back!
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 12
    stretch often, get a memory foam mattress, a buckwheat pillow is good for my neck but sometimes I prefer to use my memory foam one.

correcting posture is important, and a good chair, also working out is good like weights as it helps build the muscles in your back and neck, where you need more support.
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Actually sleeping 8h straight might not be that healthy. Poeple were made to sleep with breaks. Ie. sleep 4h, wake up, do something diffrent for 2-3h and go sleep again.

8h sleep, is very modern thing that is started being popular when electric lighting became a thing.
  • Pabs
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 12
    i use to get lower pain when i would lay down in bed. ever since i joined a gym a few months ago, the pain is still there sometimes (rarely) but not nearly as bad as before.

this lowerbackextensions2.jpg
    and romanian deadlifts helped me
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    • Don't sleep on your stomach, it's hard on your neck.

Boo, sleeping on my stomach is the only way I can fall asleep :O