Home General Discussion

The wrong advices

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Preeeetty sure that right there is some bad advice.

In all seriousness though, I've had teachers telling me to avoid tri's like the plague, and only ever use quads. :poly142:

Experience how to do something is NOT equal to the knowledge of what you should do to get into industry.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Ok, here is how you get in the industry. Work you ass off, get good, have an amazing portfolio.

Nevermind, have 10+ years here and no idea what I'm talking about. Makes no sense duder.
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    mantragora wrote: »
    Experience how to do something is NOT equal to the knowledge of what you should do to get into industry.

The thing is, in this industry, the way things are, very few vets have spent all of that time with one studio. They've got to find their jobs just like anyone else. Experience obviously helps, but the foundation stays true.

Put together a good solid portfolio. Make it easy for people to find and navigate said portfolio. Make contacts in this industry, and don't be a douche.

No matter how long a vet you are, 1 month - 25 years, it holds true.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Do not listen advices of people that started their carrier more than 5 years ago, especially the ones that started it before 2007.

quoted for lulz

Are you talking about an aircraft carrier? I've never modeled one, so my advices must be trustworthy.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quoted for lulz

Lulz indeed. You definitely shouldn't listen to the super amazing veteran polycounters who have been here since before polycount was a thing. That would be a terrible idea.

None of these guys have a clue, put them out to pasture already.

Last I hear some asshole named "Shine" was going around telling people how to make their portfolios. That dude is old as hell.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, EQ, he burned you. Go back to your outdated polygons in the "how u make them shapes" thread, the industry has moved on to voxels.

wait a minute! "advices"? I think we're being trolled!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mantragora wrote:
    Do not listen advices of people that started their carrier more than 5 years ago, especially the ones that started it before 2007.
    What kind of masochistic world do you live in where people live without AC?
    Or do you think everyone owns a carrier and they only last for 5 years? Because I think they last more like 50 years...

I'm just trying to figure out what you're talking about...
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I've been working on my carrier since 2000.

Still, no one listens to my advices. Q Q
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Justin Meisse
    Well the site has actually been wiped from the web, believe it or not. It was called jamz, and they had an off shoot called limestripe
    They also told me to use markers and that I should never make 3D fellows ....That was a strange place indeed.

Also about sabatoge, when I showed people the old posts back in 2011 one person from school said that people here were trying to sabatoge me and I should have flipped on the people here.

But that person was giving at least half of the wrong advices. The other person who mentioned sabotage was a retired vfx, puppet, animator sort of dude who said that many folks were competing for the same job and people made traps on the internet so others fail.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valuemeal: the only time I've seen people attempt to sabotage you on this forum are the people that post "looks great, just keep doing what you're doing"
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, most likely.
    Perhaps I wasn't listening to the right people at the time, that is no good at all.

Also posting on the 4chan website because some folks suggested it due to quick critique amplified my paranoia at the time, I though many people were out to do no good things.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just listen to Polycount, it's worked out for a lot of people.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    The way Valuemeal keeps saying fellows and calling muscular male characters in other threads "meat" reminds me of a user who used to come here maybe a year ago. Used to keep going on about the same stuff and not taking any advice.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    The way Valuemeal keeps saying fellows and calling muscular male characters in other threads "meat" reminds me of a user who used to come here maybe a year ago. Used to keep going on about the same stuff and not taking any advice.

Futurama_Fry_Looking_Squint2_307.jpg
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit
    It's no so much muscular fellows as much as it as gory violent games,
    I actually have made a few muscular fellows to tell you the truth.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    valuemeal wrote: »
    Also posting on the 4chan website because some folks suggested it due to quick critique amplified my paranoia at the time, I though many people were out to do no good things.
    Although I never get too much quality feedback, posting my work on 4chan helped me get thicker skin, and taught me how to pull useful information from degrading responses. Before then I took people's critiques of my work way too personally, and I woudl respond to them way too emotionally. Now I am much more analytical of and receptive to feedback, which has helped me a lot.

So here's something: bad advice for some people is good advice for others.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sheesh, it seems as though I am one of typos, perhaps I am typing much to fast and not punching the keys in as hard as I should.

These folks were much too malicious, they were planning on making a dramatica on me or something, and tried to slander my name with false instances.

Also it turned out that most of them were rude people who weren't digital who thought anything that wasn't fine arts was no good or elitist who didn't like anything
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Do not listen advices of people that started their carrier more than 5 years ago, especially the ones that started it before 2007. World changed soooooo much that they have no f*cking clue what you should do to get into industry.

^Who do you think changed It smart guy?

valuemeal:
    A lot of people say take my critiques with a grain of salt.
    Your should do that with every critique.

On topic:
    Do you think It would work if we just said, "work harder stup!d"?

Also if anyone on here gave bad advice and wasn't actually trying to help no one would be coming here for game art advice, but would go to other sites that would eventually be more popular.

Aren't a lot of teachers telling half of you to come here in the first place?

...So the people posting work from finished games should be ignored...
    I'd not listen to that guy, up there.

Two Listen:
    lmao.

I'm a black and green meanie.:poly141:
    Checked profile yup it says vet, beotch!
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Hayden Zammit
    It's no so much muscular fellows as much as it as gory violent games,
    I actually have made a few muscular fellows to tell you the truth.
    Oh yep. It'sdefinitely the same guy. Your old threads were awesome, fellow.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also some folks have told me that showing wireframes was no good, and will make your look like an unprofessional tater tot;

but other people have told me showing them is the only thing people will actually look at.
  • wendysmeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there is no wrong advice, you are doing it wrong
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    valuemeal wrote: »
    Also some folks have told me that showing wireframes was no good, and will make your look like an unprofessional tater tot;

but other people have told me showing them is the only thing people will actually look at.

No, no. Showing Wireframes is a good thing, and makes you look like a professional tater tot.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    The best advice i received: "don't do 3d, you won't make a living with that shit"