Home Unreal Engine

Terrain / Light Issues on Game Build: Disparities with Editor vs. Baked Game

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
Hey Polycount:

I'm working on several visual issues that are occurring with our game, The Maestros, as we're barreling down to our Alpha Build for USC Demo Day Sneak Peek 2013.

I will preface that I am a Character Artist by trade, so I readily admit there is a lot of UDK and environment art knowledge I lack at this time. But definitely learning a lot working on this game :)

==Problem #1==: We're getting a gray overcast that is desaturating all that is seen on the game camera. This only occurs when we cook a build of the game. This grey overcast does NOT exist in the editor, nor when we play directly from UDK. We're not sure what is causing this. One of our environment artists has mentioned it may be a post-processing issue, but we've haven't been able to look into it yet.

Does anyone know what might be causing this and how to fix it?

nv3Vmj7.jpg

==Problem #2==: The terrain we've made with the Terrain Editor looks vastly different from the one we see in Editor.

Our terrain transitions and blending looks like this in the Editor window (what we want)
Ct5jO0f.png

This is what it looks like when we hit "Play."
QjVqQEy.png

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Several factors:

We have several terrain meshes in the scene, all fitting into each other to exact edges and vertices.

Several levels are streaming into the scene.

Thank you for your time!

P.S. Is it possible to have more than 5 textures in the Terrain Editor (NOT the Landscape editor)?

Replies

• Santewi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The first problem is probably because of the default desaturation in the postprocess. World properties -> rendering (or postprocess?) if you don't have a PPchain, uberpostprocesseffect in the PPchain if you have one.

Can't really say about the second problem though. Does it happen if you use landscape? If I recall, you can right-click and convert to landscape.

Is there a specific reason you're using the old terrain instead of the landscape?

Hmm, looking again at the screenshots, the problem with the terrain seems to match where the lights are. (at least I suppose that's the problem?)
    Looks like per-vertex lighting, what happens if you build lighting (or convert the lights to dynamic ("movable" or "toggleable"))?
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    My guess is on having a custom (or perhaps not custom) Post Process chain that did not get included in the cook. One of the most common cook problems is assets that fail to be included, which happens in particular a lot with PP. There is a Startup/Force Cook setting in the engine ini to overcome such issues.

Been a while since I used the original Terrain but I believe the terrain errors out due to complexity, not just number of textures. So reducing material complexity would allow for more layers.

Colors terrain is weird. If it goes black it may be missing a material, which is the same problem as the PP or can be due to the material flags being incorrect (if those are, they only show up wrong after a cook, but work before). It also seems like the whole terrain is colored purple on the top side, perhaps that material setup someone kills it?