Home General Discussion

Ideas for small, yet effective projects.

So I will be putting my very first workstation soon and I need to get back into 3D modeling. I've never really been too good at it and it is something I struggle with but i want to get better. I was wondering what kind of exercises I can do in order to gain the essential skills needed to build a decent portfolio. I don't have much free time as I would like but I'm willing to try this time around. I don't want something like working 40 hours a week stop me from achieving my dream of getting into the industry. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I guess I would say you could try doing some traditional art exercises like speed sketching, learning fundamentals like color theory, lighting, etc. It's not '3d' but it'll help your digital work a ton!
  • megazordprime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch wrote: »
    I guess I would say you could try doing some traditional art exercises like speed sketching, learning fundamentals like color theory, lighting, etc. It's not '3d' but it'll help your digital work a ton!

I'm willing to do this actually. I have no problem learning more about traditional art, it gives me an excuse to make a sketchbook thread.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Ammo crates, barrels, simple props that you can do in a day or two and arent too complicated. Of course as you get better you can up the complexity....Id start with some simple wooden crates or a barrel....they are geometrically simple, but you can still make them pop if you do a good job....
  • megazordprime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. There's a lot I need to learn before jumping into the more complex stuff so things like props and objects should be a good starting point. The entire process of 3D modeling is still a mystery to me but I'm willing to learn as much as possible.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Start small, do not pick something with a lot of shapes, something like an ammo box like Drav said. Something where you can focus on perfect topology on simple objects, something easy to Unwrap UV's, texturing, etc. Really just be able to hit each stage of the prop creation at full force without the frustration of something complex. Then slowly start building a small prop set out of the same theme, or moving to different ammo crates of different genres, like Sci-Fi, Steam Punk, etc. Just an idea. Just experiment! No problem in that, but most importantly, have fun with it. If you are not enjoying it, do not force it, it won't produce quality results.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    maybe participate in the monthly environment art challenge that takes place here?
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Start with props whose silhouettes are similar to geometric shapes to begin with and take it through to the end of a pipeline..

But if you're not having fun with those try out something you are fond of no matter how complex. This way you can recognize your many barriers.

Also the traditional art thing is awesome but god damn is it hard to do it digitally in comparison..