Home Unity

Best way of working

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Felixb polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys,

I have got a quick question.
I've attached an image.
Which way is the best way of working, like the image, Three modular pieces, 1 shared UV set and 1 texture, or 3 seperate uv-sets, and 3 textures?

gh60.jpg

Since I'm not used to working with unity and people told me I should do 3 uv sets and 3 textures I was kind of surprised.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    it depends on what your doing, im more partial to 1 texture with some good UV'ing. FInd you can save more texture space this way, and will have fewer materials in the end which is good.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    If you have a modular set that will often be seen together, then yes, one texture is good. The UV's can be per object, to re-use appropriate parts of the texture.
  • SlyRipper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SlyRipper polycounter lvl 6
    Well in Unity, the less materials, objects and textures the less draw calls you'll get. So think of what will be seen and what will be needed. If you have many buildings that each uses 1 material/texture you might end up with more materials than needed. When you split them up in just 3 materials, for "tileable roofs", "building parts in general", and some "unique parts for each building", then you can have several buildings (for your town for example) and you would still just need those 3 materials to show everything, instead of lets say 5 materials for 5 buildings.

Another option would be to use texture atlases, which are packed textures: every texture that would use the same material type (with same settings, etc) will be packed in just one texture and will use that shared material.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would be a waste to have it on several texture sheets if your unwrapping it uniquely like that.

But...yea if by several textures you mean using tiling textures, and you can use them alot on other assets throughout the environment, that might be the way to go.