Home Technical Talk

3Ds Max 2014 Reverse Rendering

Hey is there a way to render an animation in reverse in 3Ds max 2014?

I know people are going to say just do it in a post video editor program to get your animation in reverse. Thats not what I need.

I'm rendering an animation thats 12,600 frames on 1 machine and I have a second machine thats not as powerful so I want to set that 2nd machine to start rendering it in reverse so I can finish the entire rendering faster. Then in after effects I can just merge the 2 completed renders.

I'm on a tight deadline and the 1 machine rendering forward is telling me it has 40 hours left to go!

Thanks

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    i would start this with backburner...
    that everything is done automaticaly for you...
    just start the manager on one computer and on both the server...
    and in the render menue click on NET...

or use Dr to render with both computer on the same image...
    you just have to set the ip adress...
  • gabman912
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unfortunately the company I work for does not have a server set up. And we are in the start up phase for our graphics department (its a world of headaches for the team here that the boss doesnt care about). So I forgot to mention the second machine I have for this project is in another location using an older version of Max.

I was hoping for some easy render setup adjustment. I'm guessing best solution is to have the second machine start later in the process?
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    i was gonna suggest, set up your 2nd machine to do small chunks, from the end,

12001-12600
    11400-12000
    11000-11399

etc

and set up remote desktop/vnc to start the renders,