Home Technical Talk

how to convert zbrush dynamesh sculpt to animatable model

sci_fi_soldier_by_macchiarto-d6vssml.png

i recently finished this sci-fi soldier sculpt in zbrush 4R4. An animator friend has expressed interest in rigging and animating it. I'm kinda at a lost as to the steps involved in the process of making my model rigging ready.

my subtools are between 1-3mil polys in dynamesh for details and he uses maya for the riggging and animation. i use maya 2011 n 2012...not sure abt him yet. would have to ask.

here r some bits and pieces i gather(correct me if im wrg):
0)need to edit the armor design a bit, especially the elbow and chest area(too wide) so it is animation friendly.

1)i think i need to use decimation master to reduce the polycount further as i dont think there r no close-ups so a lot of detail is not needed.

2)i know i need to retopo the various parts which are all separated out, and take note to make "animat-able" topology, but due to the over-complexity( a flaw of my design pointed out by my peers) of the armor, im really not sure yet what problems i'll bump into

3)i need to export out as obj. just export out like that? or do i need to do smthing else.

anything else i need to do after that?

would appreciate if someone could walk me thru briefly the steps involved in making a dynamesh model rig n animation ready just so i know i'm heading in the right direction. Thanks.

Replies