Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low Poly "Buildings" Practice

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Skywalkergirl93 polycounter lvl 5
I'm currently a student learning how to 3D model/texture for video games. I'm new to polycount, so I figured it's about time I uploaded something. Here's a low poly set of buildings I've been working on from reference. It's still a work in progress, but by the time it's done I hope to have it textured with normal and spec maps applied. I'm an artist, so any criticism is welcome. In order to get better I need to know what I can fix.

Reference:

DSCN0049.JPG

IMG_0922.JPG

SDC15500.JPG

SDC15510.JPG

SDC15523.JPG

Current Low Poly:

[SKETCHFAB]93372a05a139421e9e49b613c549df7f[/SKETCHFAB]

Replies

• snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    not sure why no one has said anything yet, the modeling looks pretty solid to me, now lets see some textures.
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    looks good for me too.
    Would be nice to see some wireframes.
    Also how you plan to make the "post wires"?
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    @Fabio, you can access wireframe directly from sketchfab : http://sketchfab.com/show/93372a05a139421e9e49b613c549df7f

Its a nice scene, it could definetly blend into a GTA game ^^

What will be your next step ? Atlasing textures and texturing ?

Edit : one minor thing that i would replace by actual geo is the railings where i guess you are planing to put alpha textures. Imo its better to use vertexes than opacity textures on 2 sided planes, like some lightstick and the

And some cylinder loop reducing in tiny objects
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the look of these buildings! The whole thing has a great vibe...
  • Skywalkergirl93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! This is my first set of buildings I've ever made, so your opinions are much appreciated.

@snake85027, thank you! Texturing is fairly new to me, but I'm excited to tackle this project :)

@Fabio, yes, if you follow -Em'-'s link it will show you the wireframe function. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do about the telephone pole wires just yet, but I guess I'll have to figure it out soon. Also, thanks for the feedback :)

@-Em'-, I 100% agree with your tip. This is a technically a current project in school that I'm getting a grade for, and we were given a poly limit for the buildings and the things attached to the buildings (not including the sidewalk and things on the sidewalk), and being my first set if buildings I tried fitting most of my detail near the bottom where the character would most likely see. But I understand what you're talking about and can possible be able to add it in there seeing as I have a few thousand left on my poly limit and still gave room for optimization on the smaller objects you hinted me towards. Thanks for your observations, I very much appreciate it. :)

The next step will be to UV the low poly buildings, make a few high poly floaters to bake onto the low poly mesh, then after that get my normal, AO, and cavity maps together to start texturing. Like I said earlier in this post to snake85027, I'm new to texturing so I'm trying not to get too overwhelmed with all the stuff in the scene, but I know if I play my cards right and put the time into it I can come up with something decent.

@WarrenM, thanks! I really appreciate the feedback! :)
  • -Em'-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    The next step will be to UV the low poly buildings, make a few high poly floaters to bake onto the low poly mesh, then after that get my normal, AO, and cavity maps together to start texturing.

You should try Ndo2 (unless you school assignment specify you to bake stuff), very easy to generate normalmaps and generate Ao from it. Combined with normalmaps generated from texture and i bet you're scene will be a killing ^^
  • Skywalkergirl93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After a long stressful week this was what I was able to texture and turn in. I'm not as happy with it as I wish I was, but for my first set of buildings and little texture experience I'm satisfied. In the future when I learn more techniques I plan to come back and re-texture this. This week I practiced tiling textures and tried to reuse as much as I could (besides the props signs). Any critiques are welcome because when I do go back and retexture this it would be nice to know what I could do to improve it.

Building_01.JPG

Building_02.JPG

Building_03.JPG

Building_04.JPG

Building_05.JPG
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    It looks good for a first attempt, just needs some dirtying up as its very clean!