Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Universal Studios Buildings Project

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
xXSP3CSXx polycounter lvl 4
Hello, I am looking for crits on the buildings I was given in my most recent project.
The ref.
DSCN1105.JPG
DSCN1112.JPG
DSCN1119.JPG
DSCN1124.JPG
20131125_145228.jpg
20131125_145258.jpg
20131125_145307.jpg
DSCN1089.JPG

My WIP
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG

Replies

• DWalker
    What's the purpose of the models? Are they for an ultra-high resolution movie/TV shot, a first-person scene, or a 3rd person backdrop? Function does dictate form to a certain extent.

I'm seeing some odd shading, primarily in the base of the trash cans and the light posts, but also in the bottom trim of some of the walls.

The awnings are cloth, and while taut some creases and bends are visible, most of which can probably be modeled in the normal map. The bottom strips, however, are free to move in the wind; this is most noticeable in the last reference photo.

The store names are in frames, although this might be an early block out.

The fonts you're using don't look correct; in the Sahara Traders, for example, the 'R' has a very distinct curve at the base of the leg. (To further complicate matters, this one store seems to use at least 3 fonts - one for the address, a second for the raised name, and a third on the awning.) It depends, I suppose, on how accurate you are trying to be; fonts are one of those things that people quickly notice as 'wrong' even with only minor differences. I'd recommend using something like the font recognition in http://www.whatfontis.com/ to help you. Keep in mind that the default fonts in PS will probably NOT be a close match; you'll have to buy/download a better choice.
  • AndroidBebop
    Can we see some shots without the wire frame mode also please. Are you using Blender?
  • xXSP3CSXx
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update of my project.

[SKETCHFAB]25663988520d43948ec67a7357cab426[/SKETCHFAB]
  • xXSP3CSXx
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Polycounters, here is what I was able to finish. Lets just say I have learned a lot and when I have the time I would like to go back and change a lot.

1.JPG
    2.JPG
    3.JPG
    4.JPG
    5.JPG
    6.JPG
    7.JPG
    8.JPG