Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Combat A.I Tank

Hello all, here is a recent WIP. The following was made using MilkShape 3D low poly work shop and Paint Shop. This is a main battle robot, any thoughts or question are welcome.

Replies

• BotCMD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BotCMD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ditched the wheels and went with tracks instead, there is more to be done but here is a semi finished version. The tracks added a lot more poly's then I though but I guess it can't be avoided. Let me know what you all think about dimension etc.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    It looks like you are starting with 3d, my advice is ; replace milkshape as soon as possible and learn one of the real programs or you will regret it a lot later when you hit the dead end. 3DS Max, Maja, (Lightwave Modo..) and such, although the first 2 are the most used and it would probably be best using them
    Photoshop is also a must, theres no way around. Dont waste your time learning programs that are easy to get right now for you.

Also you have to start with the proper subdivision workflow as soon as possible
    http://vimeo.com/10941211
    I dont know how old you are or what you want to do, but this all is pretty trivial
    If you want to learn as fast as possible, dont do your own designs, they are flawed until you have many years of experience, and just hold you back. Good real references are key. With your own designs, you just take what you get if you make mistakes, while that is not possible with real references.

Your UVs seem to be laid out properly and you mirrored them, gj on that : )
  • BotCMD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice, I am in my late 20"s and I am welder so I have no intrest in seeking a job in the CG area. This is just time killing stuff. I have Gmax and 3DS max but I am on a home built computer and I am having some graphic errors running them I have been trying to work out. I just picked up Photo shop yesterday so one thing I need to do is improve A LOT on my textures.
  • blinKX10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blinKX10 polycounter lvl 7
    One thing I suggest you doing is registering on Digital Tutors, they have a variety of tutorials that will help you get better and learn new techniques
  • BotCMD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ehh model is that bad huh :-D No point in posting the finished version.
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    no dude! there is always a point to posting your work and taking it to the end, the faster you finish and get feedback the faster you will learn, take it from me fail as much as you can and as fast as you can and you will grow even faster as an artist (as long as you are a good self critic and can analyze where you failed and where you nailed what you where trying to do) so post your work and even if it doesn't get comments or even if its bad comments or whatever just keep doing it until you are too good to be ignored :P

i will leave you with my favorite quote of all time

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."
    -Calvin Coolidge

sorry for the long post but i just wanted to tell you to finish it and just keep practicing i hope that motivated you :)