Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Cryengine] Scifi Environment

MiragentGames
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
MiragentGames polycounter lvl 5
I'm posting this from work so I can't provide any model screenshot/renders or any other screens, but I'll post those to this thread when I get home later today.
This is a scifi environment I put together in the new Cryengine™. It was, in total, about 6 hours of work from concept to completion. It is also the first scifi environment I've ever done so it may no be the greatest thing ever. However, I want some comments/criticisms. I want to know what I could have added to the scene to make it more believable. When I was working on it - it always seemed like no matter how many things i added the level seemed empty. Please rate and comment :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC2ycALb7DY"]Cryengine 3 Scifi Environment - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    The first thing that sticks out to me is the view, the video starts out so close to everything. Then second thing that sticks out is not knowing really what I am looking at. What is that room for? Even though its SciFi it needs something human so we can relate to it.
  • genwu
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    I'll agree with snake85027 with it being a bit hard to tell what exactly we're looking at without something for us to relate to. Is this an alien ship? Human scientific ship?

Anyway, I'll look forward to your art breakdowns!

I actually do like your video - was that through CE's Track View? I've been curious about it but haven't really delved into it yet. Anything you can share on it's workflow? Hard to grasp? Easy as pie?
  • MiragentGames
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes. I used trackview to put this together. The workflow of trackview is VERY straightforward and is fairly object oriented. You can create whats called a director node that controls everything in the scene. Then drop your objects and cameras into the director. It's very easy to grasp. I think my favorite thing about it is that I can set the camera I'm using as the "viewport camera", hit the auto key/record button, and just move the camera around using wasd as if i were flying through the level and get keyframes.

Additional effects (Depth of field, HDR, color shift) can be added in trackview as well and they recieve their own nodes and can be keyed just like the objects and cameras can. If you have any other CE3 questions feel free to ask :)
  • MiragentGames
    Offline / Send Message
    And now the art breakdowns! Finally made it home and can put this together.
    Granted it's not the greatest art breakdown ever, it's still something :P
    maps_zpsacde80fc.jpg
    meshes_zps66b35dfd.jpg
  • MiragentGames
    Offline / Send Message
    Let me know if theres anything from the video you want info about other than what I've shown. and please more comments and crits.
  • Dubzski
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    Agree with the above posts on the zoomed in, i kinda lost intrest within 10 seconds as all i was seeing was shiny n glowy stuff.

I would say spend a bit more time on model detail next time, make the room asymmetrical, symmetry is kinda boring.

Whats the functionality of the room?

I really like the camera tracking that's probs the strongest thing in the video.
  • lecheleche
    Offline / Send Message
    lecheleche polycounter lvl 9
    Amazing!

It looks like an alien room. So advance that you don't even know what it is for hehe.

But its amazing! I would love to see more colors.
  • genwu
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    Yes. I used trackview to put this together. The workflow of trackview is VERY straightforward and is fairly object oriented. You can create whats called a director node that controls everything in the scene. Then drop your objects and cameras into the director. It's very easy to grasp. I think my favorite thing about it is that I can set the camera I'm using as the "viewport camera", hit the auto key/record button, and just move the camera around using wasd as if i were flying through the level and get keyframes.

Additional effects (Depth of field, HDR, color shift) can be added in trackview as well and they recieve their own nodes and can be keyed just like the objects and cameras can. If you have any other CE3 questions feel free to ask :)

Hey sounds awesome, Thanks for that! I can't wait to get in and try a few things out as soon as I find some time!
  • MiragentGames
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski wrote: »
    Agree with the above posts on the zoomed in, i kinda lost intrest within 10 seconds as all i was seeing was shiny n glowy stuff.

I would say spend a bit more time on model detail next time, make the room asymmetrical, symmetry is kinda boring.

Whats the functionality of the room?

I really like the camera tracking that's probs the strongest thing in the video.
    Looking back I can agree. Now that I've got some things down and feel a bit more comfortable making scifi textures and materials I can look more at detailed models and creating more interesting, asymmetrical environments. Thankyou for the comments. I hope I can take these thoughs and lessons that I've learned from this and move forward to make something better.
  • MiragentGames
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu wrote: »
    Hey sounds awesome, Thanks for that! I can't wait to get in and try a few things out as soon as I find some time!

Yeah it's definitely tons of fun and rewarding once you get it all working, but be careful! One miss step and the engine will sh*t itself...Had that happen several times. Luckily Cryengine will try to save things for you when you crash. it's kind of nice.