Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Face Variations ?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
So I been making characters. But each character I made, it seems they from the same videogame, same character, same face and same body, I just make different costumes to equip on them. When I actually should be making different characters.

So the face/head is top priority right now. To create uniqueness to each face. Create some variations. The problem is, instead of 'making 10 different beautiful faces', it turns out to be 'making 10 faces, some more beautiful than others.'. Like, you know, 'jawbone too wide' 'forehead too big' 'lips too thin,' 'cheek too fat' etc etc.

Any advice on how to create multiple nice looking faces that don't look the same ?

I tried to adjust proportions of the basemesh to come up with different variations. The thing is, 1. not different enough 2. not unique enough 3. not pretty enough.

F_Torso12.jpg

True not everyone look like a movie star. But then again, there are many different movie stars. And when it boils down to the core, shouldn't it be just
1. Skull size
2. jawbone/jawline
3. cheekbone/cheek
4. Lacrimal
5. Zygomatic
6. bunch more bones I forgot names
7. and amount of fat/muscle around the face ?

Or is it determined largely by textures of the faces ?
Human_female_faces.jpg

Face Sliders in videogames say it's still up to proportions, though.
f0ef3f53541dae987565a20fcc595832.jpg

Replies

• MethodJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MethodJ polycounter lvl 4
    I might be misunderstanding, but it sounds to me like you're looking for a shortcut that isn't there. Real faces are different in all sorts of different ways, there isn't a simple formula that converts 'celebrity face 1' to 'celebrity face 2'.

The examples you've posted are very stylized and aren't necessarily a good representation of how real faces differ - after all, game faces that are shaped by sliders generally need to fit the same bone layout, so the overall face shape can't change all that much.

My recommendation would be to find reference from a bunch of different faces and try to create each individually. For anatomy, practice makes perfect.
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    MethodJ wrote: »

My recommendation would be to find reference from a bunch of different faces and try to create each individually. For anatomy, practice makes perfect.

This. Find a face of an actor or model try and sculpt it. Then find another but with a completely different looking facial structure. Its all about noticing and creating the big forms within a face first and not the little details.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks guys. I will do that. Pinterest has lots of face pictures :)