Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Winter scene

ToffeeApple
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
Hi all

So I'm starting a new project - it's going to be a winter scene in UDK with a very slight hint of Christmas (some fairy lights on a tree). I'm going to keep it simple and just focus on making a few assets to start with. C&C is very welcome.

I'm starting with ice skates

Reference:

[IMG][/img]IceSkatesreference_zps3e915410.png~original

Blockout:

[IMG][/img]Blockout1_zps4c67ce27.png~original

Replies

• ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress -

[IMG][/img]Blockout2_zps57e151fc.png~original
  • Shashank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shashank polycounter lvl 13
    Nice progress waiting for more.
  • Jorvid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good job on the ice skate. Keep it up

Do you have a concept for the scene you plan to put this in? Would love to see some sketches of the composition of the scene.
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    v@mpiRe - thanks!

Jorvid - Here is the concept... it's a mesh of photos and painting but hopefully gets across what I had in mind.

[IMG][/img]Concept5_zps35539a86.png~original

And some references

[IMG][/img]Reference_zps9a2e8164.png~original

[IMG][/img]5264624737_8dfe41b8de_b_zpsae36aef0.jpg~original
  • DannSw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DannSw polycounter lvl 10
    Great start mate!

The only thing I would say about the concepts and the references is that they seem slightly barren. If I were you, I would really push the Christmas element in the environment to really enrichen it with a sense of character. Currently the proposed assets are very minimalistic, and the daylight lighting could make the scene look very flat, especially with such low contrast due to the snow.

I would recommend you reconsider your approach and try to think how you are going to make your scene visually interesting so that it's not just a "scene", but bursting with character. This kind of thought is going to make multitudes of difference when people are looking at your work because it's going to be so much more visually interesting. Think about visual storytelling. What does your scene tell the viewer?

Sorry, I hope I'm not coming down too hard here, I just think that these kind of things can make such a huge difference. Even just changing the concept to a dusk/night scene with fairy lights strung from tree to tree creating some interesting lighting/colours would help so much! I hope this helps
  • Wishie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree that this scene would look lovely in a dusk type of setting with some nice orange/pink/purple hues.

Little details like sled and feet marks in the snow will help out with the scene. Maybe a hint of a village in the bg, smoke coming from one of the chimneys.
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
    Hi ToffeeApple,

Great start and nice idea for your scene! I already digging the general setting that you're going for, sigh it makes me miss the snow though damnit. Before starting your scene, I think you should do a block out to get the general composition going and seeing how things will all work out together. You should try and get the mood right too and play with lighting to get some interesting stuff. With snow I find it generally a lot of colour is lost, but if you can incorporate some cool lighting stuff to bring that colour back, it'd look awesome I think. Something coming from the same place as these.

tumblr_ldif89fb0E1qzsz6ro1_500.jpg

tumblr_lubi81kZfO1qeei4to1_500.png

Also, when you're doing the snow effects, you should do the Z-depth thing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otedqKHET1w"]Rock and Snow Up Vector Blending Demo Part 1 (UDK) - YouTube[/ame]
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks for all the advice everyone! That's very helpful.

DamnSw - I totally agree with you and went for something so barren to keep it very simple - although now you have said that I do want it to be 'visually interesting' and 'bursting with character' your words make me think the scene could be so much more and are encouraging me to step out of the comfort zone so thanks for that!

Wishie - I love your ideas! I'm already picturing it.

Lukepham101 - I miss snow too! Although I'm sure some will be coming along in a few months in the UK. Thanks for stressing about mood and lighting. I think what I'm realising is that I need to plan this far more carefully.

I will go back to the drawing board and see what I come up with - thanks all.
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all

I've tried to come up with something a bit more interesting for the scene.

[IMG][/img]Concept3_zps206e5dd2.png~original

The idea is that this is a clearing in the woods that someone has decorated as a surprise Christmas present for someone else. I want to give the impression that it is a secret place.

I have added a few extra assets - ice sculpture, elf hat, toy train set, toy soldiers, snowman and paper snowflakes to give it more of a Christmas theme.

Some new references:

[IMG][/img]Trout_Creek_Truckee_zps1d317902.jpg~original

[IMG][/img]The_Last_of_Us_Concept_Art_Snow_Forest_AL-01_zps01b12cb7.jpg~original

This one is concept art for The Last Of Us
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Re-worked the concept to make it more organised.

[IMG][/img]Concept5_zps0eaa46a1.png~original
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    damn...snow is so stupidly beautifull...ermn I mean, good luck with your scene :)
    new concept looks tons better
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
    Looks great! A lot more solid than before, I'm getting a general idea of what the scene's gonna look like now. Keep up the good work. :)
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all!

Thanks for the encouragement - so time for another concept update.

[IMG][/img]Concept9_zpsd9872a4f.png~original

I've used the images provided by Lukepham101 (thanks for those!) to figure out the colour. Still definitely WIP - I best keep working :)

And some ice skate progress...

[IMG][/img]Iceskate2_zps745ff0e5.png~original
  • ToffeeApple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update - painted the concept some more - experimenting with lighting and mood.

Sorry for hurting everyone's eyes with the brightness in that previous post! Ouch

[IMG][/img]Concept10_zpsf837ce16.png~original