Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback - Watertower

Hey guys

Right now im working on my texturing skills, I dont think im good enough yet.

So I could really use some feedback on my watertower, mostly on the texturing :) so I know what to work on, I hope you would like to help me and give me some feedback :)

Replies

• WadeWT
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    You must upload higher resolution renders and perhaps your texture sheets

From what you've posted I think the main problem is the tank part. The panels seem too blobby for metal. The shapes should be much sharper, the edges also look like photoshop bevelling. There also seems like a lot of variation in your texel density. The legs seem much lower resolution compared to the top half. I'm not sure if this is the case or if the leg texture is just blurry, though.

There's also a lot of rust or grime on the fence part but the rest of the tower seems to be untouched by this. Did you base this on any reference?
  • razzta91
    For some reason I cant get Marmoset to make a higher resolution. I will try to figured out what the problem is :)

But I have uploaded my texture sheet.

But as I see it, I think my main problem is that it dont look realistic enough?

I can see what you mean with the legs.
    Theres no photoshop bevelling on the tank.

I dont have a reference. its all in my head ;)
  • Hannah
    razzta91 wrote: »

I dont have a reference. its all in my head ;)

You definitely need to look at reference images. Reference doesn't necessarily mean carbon copy, but it's the best way to learn and set about achieving something realistic.

It's a good start but I'd say the textures definitely need a bit of TLC. At the moment, the materials appear so different that it's hard to process the tower as one asset. For example, the steel girders on the bottom speak of modern day construction site, but the door and shantytown-esque paneling on the top of the tower have a more nautical (almost steampunk) look to them and it creates a jarring contrast.

Perhaps do some paintovers to try and nail the overall look of the whole image rather than treating each bit separately, and then you can work on creating a more consistent asset.
  • razzta91
    Okay, I will try to find some reference,

TLC?

I will try the paintover :)
  • WadeWT
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    TLC = tender loving care.

8HeFAni.jpg
    Here is how you can make your marmoset screenshots bigger.

I guess it is your normal map that is giving it the bevelled look. I think there might be a problem because it looks like it's being lit from below. Not sure, though. Might just be me thinking about light wrong.
  • razzta91
    Okay :)

thanks.

I will try to redo my normal map :)
  • razzta91
    Do you think I should redo my UW too? use more of the empty space?
  • theSixtyEight
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    definitelly, ur UVs looks pretty poor, leaving lots of unused space
  • razzta91
    OKay, I will fix that :)

Do you guys know a good dummies tutorial for texturing?