Home General Discussion

What do you expect to see from Games Art and Design graduates these days?

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
Hello

I hope you can help, I would like to ask you what you would expect to see from Games Art and Design graduates these days? The reason I ask is that our BA Games Art Degree programme is currently undergoing it’s five year review so it’s a chance for me to make adjustments to the course. All university degrees go through a similar renewal process every five years. It’s an extensive academic review of everything we do on the four degrees, 2D, 3D, VFX and Games Art and as part of that process we’d welcome your input on the changes being proposed for the course.

If it helps to give you and idea of what the BA Games Art award is all about we have a Polycount thread - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68766

The following points are really focused on the BA Games Art Award. They could really do with some scrutiny and accreditation from industry professionals, so feel free to make your own points or simply agree or disagree with any of the following. If you can add your current position that would be great, so here we go....

There is increasing convergence of digital media in our area and an explosion of interactive devices, platforms and practices – what are the possible future impacts and changing practices here? This needs to be integrated within all modules.

We should extend the award’s emphases on games design as well artistic skills.

Programming and Scripting to be extended and explored

Problem solving in areas such as rigging and simulations

Need to further enhance art skills and design and concept art skills and to cater for students who are rich in these practices.

As so much work is outsourced these days many companies are now looking for either technical artists with programming skills or artistic all-rounders who can manage the outsourcing process. These generalists will need a better understanding of high end 3D games design and level design. The plethora of smaller independent companies now emerging in this vibrant area also need those same types of graduate skills and knowledge bases.

There is a need for a more technical emphasis on the programme to cope with increased employment demand in this area. There is also a need for technical knowledge to support the art outputs of other students who are heavily dependent on this.

Open briefs could be used allowing those with aptitude in this area to pursue their interests.

Creativity should play a greater role – imagination, curiosity, original idea/content generation and creative ambition are to have an enhanced emphasis. Animation, Games and Visual Effects have the ability to emote, entertain and even change lives – students should acknowledge and use such responsibilities and be prepared for the future creative economy.

Entrepreneurialism and digital futures should be explored more. This could be supported within the professional modules at level5 and professional practice at level6. We already do role play for setting up companies – this could be extended.

If you have any questions or constructive feedback as a reply and you prefer not to share with the rest of the world then you can PM them to me directly.

Thank you for reading.