Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Great Helmet

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Dagon polygon
This was my second attempt at modelling and texturing a Great Helmet. I only learn't how to paint "decently" in photoshop pretty recently even though I have been modelling for awhile.

Polygon Count: Low Poly (296 Tris)-(150 Verts)-(328 Edges)-(180 Faces)

Tips & Crits are welcome

Clean helmets

1_zps5f2ec6ba.png
5_zpsa111f72c.png
4_zps49db8bcf.png
2_zps8a94fbd8.png
6_zps54d86f76.png
7_zpsaab10536.png
9_zps42e8280b.png
10_zpscb07b64b.png

Wireframe

3_zps229992c3.png

Worn Out Templar Helmet
WornPaint_zps20486f0d.png

Replies

• blinKX10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blinKX10 polycounter lvl 7
    This would really benefit from a normal map, because right now it looks flat.
    On the bright side, your diffuse and specular are looking pretty good!
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    You should cap the top of the helm by connecting the vertices that make up the top edge rather than by having a vertex in the middle.

For the holes you might find this thread interesting: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124852

The wear and tear is kinda weird on the white version, I doubt many helms would be painted white anyway. There are some obvious texture seams at some points too.

Showing this off with a normal map + cube map reflections would definitely help. A normal map will also let you have some larger scale damage and wear on the helm. You could also save verts by not pushing the eye slits in, rather the normal map would fake the depth. You also don't need to continue both of those edge loops from the eye intrusions around the model.
  • Dagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dagon polygon
    Thanks for the tips and crits.

1. I will cap the top end as you said. I always wondered why people did it that way.

2. Alpha maps for holes would be epic! I will try that with the next helmet I make.

3. The white helmet with the wear and tear was done pretty quickly as a demonstration. It's pretty obvious there are areas where the paint coming off doesn't look right at all.

4. There is a normal map and an HDR map applied but both of them don't seem to be doing much.

5. This is all 3 texture maps (Specular Map, Normal Map and Diffuse Map)
    GreatHelmetTextureMaps_zps65c06693.png

These are demonstrations to show that the normal map is there but not doing much (I didn't include damage or scratches into it.)

From left to right - Normal Only / Normal + Specular + Diffuse + HDR / Diffuse + Specular / Diffuse Only

Demonstation2_zpsfbd601d0.png
    Demonstation3_zpsd12c176a.png

This is the helmet with the HDR Map enhanced which doesn't look great.

HDRMapwonky_zpsb873f59e.png

PS: Helmets were painted sometimes for decoration - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_helm
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    As far as the normal map is concerned. It might help in the future to actually do a high poly version of the helmet and bake a normal map and AO map from that and then make the low poly from the high poly.

I also think it could use a little more geometry to add to the silhouette making it a little more interesting and could help it match the high poly more.

As it is the silhouette and normal map are very flat.