Home Dota 2

Question about importing models

I need some help here guys, please. I was trying out a tutorial but am failing in the first step.

I decompiled my own models and tried loading a weapon in 3DS Max, like in this tutorial.

I import the weapon with WallWorm and the the bones/the skeleton of Pudge that shows up with it looks like this:
htyjHp.png

while in the tutorial it looks like this:
sX4Rwm.jpg

I tried other heroes but it's never this faint outline of the character like shown in the tutorial but this strange contraption. I don't know if I'm alright with going ahead to the next step or if this is messed up and I need to fix this first/do it properly.

Please, can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Replies

• Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Kunio,

If you look to the viewcube in the top right corner of your image, it looks like your weapon was imported on its side. This happens to me too if i dont check the box marked convert from left hand coordinate space, which is marked as #4 in the below image.

454868E2163A4A49DD33A15472F02B2D5AEC4917

I also followed this post right here on polycount for decompiling

and use the .smd import tools at wunderboy.com

Its hard to tell if there are some other problems from your screenshot, but if you give the above to links a look they should help iron any other potential problems out.
  • Kunio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems I uploaded a bad screenshot. Here is a better one. It looks different from all angles.

quuQwQ.png
    I used that post for decompiling too, and I tried using the plugin from wunderboy but it seems 3DS Max 2013 isn't supported because I get an error about "Entry point not found" when starting with it. The only one that worked was wall worm.
    And wallworm doesn't have the option to convert from left hand coordinate space. This is how the options look. Importing the valve model only works when enabling "remove bones" which doesn't seem right.
    yDFVg1.png

And I don't have the same file like you do after decompiling. The only one I have that has the cleaver in it is leftweapon_model_dmx.sml and thats the one in the screenshot. I posted about that here and described it in more detail.

Thanks for showing up and helping, you're just the guy I need! The actual author of the tutorial. :poly121:
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kunio wrote: »
    It seems I uploaded a bad screenshot. Here is a better one. It looks different from all angles.

quuQwQ.png
    I used that post for decompiling too, and I tried using the plugin from wunderboy but it seems 3DS Max 2013 isn't supported because I get an error about "Entry point not found" when starting with it. The only one that worked was wall worm.

And I don't have the same file like you do after decompiling. The only one I have that has the cleaver in it is leftweapon_model_dmx.sml and thats the one in the screenshot.

Looks like your models still imported with the coordinate space flipped in the new screenshot, and definitely sounds like its the importer causing the problems. Do you have any screenshots of the export dialog box that appears in wallworm? and the import dialog from max? swizzling a few options could potentially sort this.

If not try loading in the .fbx from the offical download page, the files for pudges offhand were uptodate last i looked and should be ok.
  • Kunio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The export dialog box of wallworm? I assume you mean smd export, because there are several other exporters in wallworm. This is how the smd/VTA one looks (the smd importer options I've posted above):
    bZCLOu.png
    The import dialog from max I haven't used because it doesn't show .smd files when displaying "all formats", only the .mdl files. That's probably because I'm not using the plugin which crashes max but the wallworm one that has its own importers.

Loading the .fbx file works fine. What's the difference with it and why does everyone describe loading the smd file with a plug in in their tutorial instead of the .fbx? This is how it looks when I load the pudge_offhand_weapon.fbx file:
    mXiZMQ.png

Can I use this to follow along the tutorial and make cosmetics? (I guess not, because I don't see any bones under "Select by name" part, unlike with the other thing)
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kunio wrote: »
    The export dialog box of wallworm? I assume you mean smd export, because there are several other exporters in wallworm. This is how the smd/VTA one looks (the smd importer options I've posted above):

The import dialog from max I haven't used because it doesn't show .smd files when displaying "all formats", only the .mdl files. That's probably because I'm not using the plugin which crashes max but the wallworm one that has its own importers.

Loading the .fbx file works fine. What's the difference with it and why does everyone describe loading the smd file with a plug in in their tutorial instead of the .fbx? This is how it looks when I load the pudge_offhand_weapon.fbx file:

Can I use this to follow along the tutorial and make cosmetics? (I guess not, because I don't see any bones under "Select by name" part, unlike with the other thing)

.FBX should be fine for Pudge, and for following along the guide. You should be able to just manually select the bones and hide them if you cant see them in the list.

The reason you see so many artists decompile the .smd is, many, but not all of the hero's on the requirements page have outdated files, which can lead to a whole range of problems. The decompiler also spits out animation files along with the .smd which can be handy.