Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tiger 1 Heavy Tank

Galvanize
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Galvanize polycounter lvl 7
Hey Polycounters!
This is my second thread! Here i want to show you my last 3d hp model in 3D Studio Max. What do you think i could do better? Some critiques and suggestions for what i can do better are as always very welcome!

So i hope you like it!:D!!

PS: I have still some problems with rendering small detailed parts(in this case the screws/bolts for example). Any Tips?

tiger_test_pres_10_zpsce2c0a2e.jpg

tiger_test_pres_11_zpse8938137.jpg

Replies

• spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    Get rid of the monochromatic light setup first-you should usually use two complimentary colors to light the scene, and not this saturated either unless your going for a stylized look, but not at the expense of not being able to see the model well. Second, it looks as if your material on the mesh/bg plane is the same colors as the lights. You also really need a rim light behind the model to seperate it from the BG. 3-point light sytsem at least. I assume you used Mental Ray for the renders???
  • Mattvaughn12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mattvaughn12 polycounter lvl 9
    The lighting is very off. Like it was said, a three point light system is always best. Looks like you did get an AO pass in there, but I could be wrong. Another thing I notice is that certain areas seem pretty detailed, like the treading, where the rest is really basic and bland. Still have a long way to go, but the overall shape is pretty good. I've been working on a T-34-76 tank for a couple months now, and Paul Pepera is a big inspiration to me for tanks.
  • Galvanize
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay first - Thank you for helping me! I tried to follow your suggestions with the lightning setup and i played a bit with my settings so i came to better result i think. I added some Free Spheres & Rectangle Lights.
    Yes i used Mental Ray.

I added the same pictures as attachments for a bigger view.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    just apply a material with high spec and some gloss so that you can see modeling errors, right now its very bland and impossible to see if there are any glaring issues with the HP.
  • Galvanize
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay i will do that and upload another Image for you. Thank you!

Edit: Here is the picture for you, Joao Sapiro. I hope that's what you wanted to see?

tiger_test_pres_25_highspec_zpse7810646.jpg
    tiger_test_pres_26_highspec_zps214518cd.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you need to check your initial references. The most obvious problem is the the bow machine gun and the driver's vision port are on the wrong side.
    tiger-tank-016.jpg

Beyond that, many of the shapes just don't match their real-life counterparts - e.g. the shape of the bow machine gun's armor, the commander's hatch, the smoke generators, and the drive wheels.
  • Galvanize
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I unterstand you, but there are multiple variations of the Tiger 1, so there is also a "version" which has the driver's vision port on the other side, i got my blueprints from the blueprints database and worked with them, i can post them if you want. It seems like every blueprint is different :poly105:. Even i saw many versions of the removable track armor in the front. But really thanks alot for your critiques! :)
  • Galvanize
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lighting is very off. Like it was said, a three point light system is always best. Looks like you did get an AO pass in there, but I could be wrong. Another thing I notice is that certain areas seem pretty detailed, like the treading, where the rest is really basic and bland. Still have a long way to go, but the overall shape is pretty good. I've been working on a T-34-76 tank for a couple months now, and Paul Pepera is a big inspiration to me for tanks.

Sorry Mattvaughn12, i overlooked your post! Thanks for your critiques! I am still a beginner in lightning. I will try my best to improve my skills. I will add some more detail to the model asap, but i wanted to have some first critiques, for what i can do better. :)
    Paul Pepera's work is amazing! I have seen many of him on CGHub!
  • Mattvaughn12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mattvaughn12 polycounter lvl 9
    http://i.imgur.com/kifiZNK.png

Theres a link to the Soviet T-34-76 tank that I have been working on for a school project. I know its still not perfect, but it is on it's way. Add some things to the front hull or the sides to occupy the space, as in tools or more cables. That would be my suggestion right now.
  • Galvanize
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your T-34-76 looks pretty nice i think!I like the lightning. :) I will add some more detail to my model and will upload my progress to keep you up to date! Thank you! :)
  • Galvanize
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, now i added some detail to the model and changed a few things! I think it's much better now, what do you think?

tiger_test_pres_50_zps9772ab67.jpg

tiger_test_pres_50_back_02_zps58cdd5c9.jpg