Home Technical Talk

Sprite Lamp - cool use of normal maps

Replies

• Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    The result is looking really good!

I'm curious about the light profiles to generate light/shadow information for each angle. Wouldn't it be possible, as an alternative, to draw a height map of the character and generate the light profiles from that? Maybe worth exploring? I think such a feature could be a time saver for artists.

An example workflow could be to generate a basic light profile pass based on the height map and then tweak it manually afterwards.

Thread subscribed. :)

edit*
    Didn't think of asking first, but maybe you're not the creator? :P
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Yeah it's a cool use, but he has to draw all lighted sides for each frame :O Atleast if it was somehow autogenerated...

At some point it seems more efficient to me to model in 3d and render with no filtering etc...

Can't wait to see a pixel art game with awesome real time lighting effects tho.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, not the creator. Intrigued by the creative adaptation of normal mapping techniques. I like the lower examples, where they hide tiling artifacts with interesting lighting, could be really good in a scroller.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Omg. This looks very interesting. Do I understand right that two lighting profile can be enough? The more profile you have, the more accurate result you get? Doesnt this hard to work with animations?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, probably two is enough for most things, X and Y.

I think anims would be difficult. The author does mention how is takes about twice as long to create color + lighting profiles, as it does just to make regular sprites.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    The most interesting thing, I think, about this would be the ability to create irradiance hemispheres to re-light the character as they move in the environment. I wonder if there would be some way of automating this so you could automatically bake a grid of them throughout your level to lerp through similar to how UE3 does character lighting with their environment probes.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Reminds me a lot of how Legend of Dungeon did this and I remember seeing some stuff on doing similar set ups in Unity.

http://robotloveskitty.tumblr.com/post/33164532086/legend-of-dungeon-dynamic-lighting-on-sprites