Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

District 10 : Heavy Prawn

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
I made this for the Planet To Planet Fanart Challenge where we had to take an existing extraturestrial franchise and make a fanart piece of it .
I made this millitary prawn based on the prawns of the awesome movie District 9

727_max.jpg

937_max.jpg

Replies

• JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    Thats fantastic!
    I can see the prawn but you've definitely successfully taken it to a new direction.
    How long did it all take?
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    Dustin: thanks man , i appreciate it
    James: No idea really i`ve worked on this over the last month or two during evenings on and off so theres no real way to tell
  • SsSandu_C
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome job man! Damn that clay render looks so sexy
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Good job Leslie! I really like the colors you chose!
  • Polyjunky
    Offline / Send Message
    Polyjunky greentooth
    Zwebbie wrote: »
    -Cut-

I'm African. I like the piece. It's very well done. I don't think it's racist at all, if you think it is I suggest you find the nearest scrabble set, swallow the pieces, then consume a very strong laxative. Whatever comes out will make more sense than what you just wrote.
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Well besides the weird vibe (looking at you Zwebbie) and waiting for it to be cleared up as a joke or what have you this piece is awesome. Especially the detail thats went into the chest area and shoulders.

Nice job!
  • - Livewire -
    Offline / Send Message
    - Livewire - polycounter lvl 9
    I refuse to believe Zwebbie is being serious, people just can't be that stupid. Incredible model!
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys,
    Anyway let`s just let it be for now , i know my intentions with the piece weren`t bad ones so thats all that should matter in the end

It was a fun project to do and a hard one to balance out in its entirety,
    The colors are partly based on those of a hornet , i really wanted to focus the viewers eye to the head and chest so i tried to add the most color and detail in those areas.
  • colinwmorrison
    Awesome work as ever LVDB. Keep them coming and contgrats on your new adventures.

Sadly some people like Zwebbie find the internet the only way to be heard and they use negativity. (I suggest reposting in a new thread and deleting this one, we will all respect it as a good reason. And then report him to the admins! I will be)

Best,
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Looks awesome, Leslie! I love what you did with the upper back.
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Looks awesome, really nice sculpt!
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys

perna: it was a challenge on facebook you can find it here https://www.facebook.com/groups/153136344875405/
  • Luke_Starkie
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    Looks sick dude! What did ya render the high poly in?
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Great job Leslie :)

Looks fantastic!!!!! Would love to know what he's rendered in :)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Can someone tell me what was said I am so curious now.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Can someone tell me what was said I am so curious now.

Me too!
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I think it would be a shame to focus on the one random idiot by reposting what he said, rather than focusing on the awesome art. Fantastic piece ravenslayer, loved the movie and love your take.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys,

I used vray 2 for rendering this and photoshop for some compositing
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Love the idea of a heavy prawn. Super sick sculpt!
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    It looks nice all in all

Id like to give some feedback however, since you didn't get some so far, and im like in the mood ;)

First, the lighting could need more contrast. Everything is really well lit, and your backdrop shadows suggest a low hanging sun (aka directional sunlight)
    For that, the front of your character is way too well and brightly lit, there are nearly no shadowed areas, and your weapon has studio light reflections.
    It seems like you did your backlight just a lot more intensive to be stronger than the frontlights, making it very overblown and erasing your detail there.
    In retrospect, I would have suggested making a half shadow half light composition for the character, it makes it more dramatic
    We often dont like obscuring parts of our work, but it helps the aesthetics overall, and in general the eye is suggesting detail, even if theres actually none apparent

The legs have strong shadows, and the right part of the upper body would have done well with those aswell. But your strong shadows are also overblown, making the area 1 colored, erasing all information there but silhouette.

Also Im not sure if the pose is well chosen for the light direction and a poster, but im not sure there. What is the expression he should convey ? But you could have put the drone more to the right, he is not centered, and if he should be off center, then in the opposite direction, since he directs thee viewer to the left, and there is some space needed especially around your current focal point, the spark of the gun.

That is another thing Im not sure you want. Usually the head of the character is the clear focal point, center of attraction, but the spark you added in PS is of high quality and too interesting, taking the focus away from the actual character.
    Shadowing parts of your character usually helps achieve the focus on the right parts

Then my last point, the material definition of the skin. The glossyness of the scales looks very much like a noise bumpmap pattern, and the underlaying diffuse is rather simple in color aswell, it looks like you painted it all in your sculpting tool / bodypaint , and I really miss some detail + microdetail in it. It is alien skin, there are unending possibilities and nobody can tell you it wouldnt be possible, voronoi per example, there is too much flat color where you could really convince the viewer.

Also try some super condensed text on bottom, that really sells the movie poster thing

The Sculpt is really well done!